Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem with 127 SLT powercable detaching

Hi folks,

For all of you out there in SGL world I have started to have problems with the powercable detaching itself from the powersocket on my 127 SLT mount when I slew it around. I am always careful to not tread on it in the dark and always guide the cable with my hand so as not to get it trapped as the scope is moving, but after being outside for what I hoped was going to be a great session tonight, the blasted thing pulled out 3 times, thus cutting the power so I had to re-load all the data and re-align the scope again.

Starting to get very irritated with it. Only had the scope for 5 months and haven't used it that much. Surely cannot have broken down after such a short period of time?

Being reasonably mechanically minded I think that there is an inherant design flaw in the plug and socket as it is just a push fit type one. If they had designed it better so that there was a lock on it then there wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone else had the same or similar problem????????

Mine is ok, may be the cable.

What I do some times is put in 8 x nmhi rechargable batteries. So if the cable is unpluged then I can still use the Scope albeit it moves a little slower. No problem I just plug the cable back in and carry on as before. No need to set / align again

Hi Nexus. Thanks for your info. I suppose it is going to be a process of elimination. On the face of it the cable looks ok, but don't know for sure. Looks to me that the socket on the scope might be a little bit loose. Have wiggled it about and it certainly doesn't seem that secure.

Hadn't thought about putting rechargables in the actual scope. How does that work? Will they trickle charge while I am using my powertank or will I need to take them out and recharge separately? It would obviously better if you can put them in and forget them.

Hi Malcspring,

I have the same mount as you. I plug in my power lead and then wrap it around the arm of the mount a couple of times before it goes of to the power pack. If your plug is a right angled one make sure you turn it so it goes all the way home as the plastic casing around the socket can cause it to ride up a bit. Also are you using a Celestron plug / lead? If you aren't, make sure the centre hole in your plug is the correct diameter as you can get two sizes of these (if you've got the larger one it will be too loose.

Hope that helps.

Mine is ok, may be the cable.

What I do some times is put in 8 x nmhi rechargable batteries. So if the cable is unpluged then I can still use the Scope albeit it moves a little slower. No problem I just plug the cable back in and carry on as before. No need to set / align again

I have found that I get problems when slewing if the mount is running on nimh's due to the lower voltage ( 1.2 as opposed to 1.5 for alkaline ). Good idea to have them in to keep your alignment if the cable drops out, but I'm not sure if they remain connected when the power plug is in ( if they do then don't put alkalines in! ) :D

Thanks Stargazer51N.

I hadn't thought about wrapping the cable around the mount a couple of times, but that is a great idea. Sometimes with a bit of lateral thinking and a suggestion from someone else that could resolve the problem. At least by tightening the cable to the mount the plug shouldn't pull out anymore while it is slewing. Hopefully problem solved. I'll give that one a try.

I have heard of this problem quite often, also with Atik cameras.

The numpties who order the power cables didn't seem to know that there are 2 sizes of plug, the mount has a 2.1mm socket and some mounts seem to have been supplied with 2.5mm plugs. 2 things you could do:-

1, cut off the plug and get a new 2.1mm plug and solder it on (they are usually tip positieve but check just to make sure).

2, you could try to very gently prize the central pin on the socket apart slightly, they usually have a split central pin, this is a matter of trial and error, just do a little at a time and try the plug for fit.

Hope this helps.

Archived