sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Western Veil & M31 -Take 2!

Hello :D

Managed to try these targets again - as my first attempt http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/159668-my-ugly-versions-m31-witches-broom.html - with a full & high moon - washed these out for me and also showed how badly I needed to clean my sensor and clip filter! That being done now I'm happy that I didn't even need to take flats for these. :o

I'm really happy with the Witches Broom (My best image yet IMO) for only 50mins @ F7.5 :) I'll definitely be adding some more data to this one the next chance I get.

And M31 - one I've always wanted to get an image of and I'm reasonably happy with it - it sure is a difficult object to process...or is that just me?

Anyway here is a link Dropbox - Public - Simplify your life to the unprocessed TIFFS if anyone is up for having a play with - I'm sure there's a bit more that could be brought out yet, so I'd be interested to see your rendition!

Details:

Veil - 50mins total. In 5min subs @ ISO800 darks subtracted

ED80 @ F7.5, Canon 300D, CLS CCD Clip, Guided with PHD, Processed in PS CS3.

M31 - 3hrs 20mins - 5min subs @ ISO800 & 19 subs of 1min 30s - darks subtracted.

Same setup as above.

Comments as always welcome!

Thanks for looking.

Michael

post-19381-13387768506_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877685068_thumb.jpg

Edited by msinclairinork
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats, Michael, that's a very impressive improvement on Take 1 in such a short space of time! :)

On my monitor your Veil shot looks like it has a bit of a green cast to it, so my play below is trying to reduce some of the green. I used Auto Color in Photoshop for a quick adjustment (top image) with your image below it so you can see which you prefer.

If you prefer the adjustment I guess you would get more control using curves on each colour channel individually, or I think someone mentioned a plugin to get rid of green cast?

I find M31 a bit of a challenge too, I've started processing a new M31, and I've already spent about 2 hours just playing! :)

post-15522-133877689898_thumb.jpg

Hi Luke,

Thanks for taking a look at these.

I know what you mean about the green cast, I was seeing it too. But was struggling to find a balance between to green or to blue or to red as is usually the case. But 'auto-colour' seems to have done a pretty good job! I'll give that a go.

Yes M31 kept me occupied for many of hours and will probably continue too. I would be interested to see if you could improve it any.

over 3hrs and still very noisy though. The 300D is a fine cheap starter camera but I'm feeling it's holding me back somewhat. Saving for dedicated CCD next. :) Just set-point cooling alone for perfectly matched darks would be a huge benefit!

Thanks again,

Michael

Fine results, very nicely captured.

On my monitor M31 looks to be a bit strong in magenta, which can be caused by light pollution. Easy to fix in PS :)

Cheers

Rob

And M31 - one I've always wanted to get an image of and I'm reasonably happy with it - it sure is a difficult object to process...or is that just me?

I had my first attempt at M31 this year and you are not wrong about it being hard to process. Congratulations, they are both great images.

Cheers,

Chris

Just a thought Michael, but have you tried streching the channels sepeartely using FITS Liberator? I'm assuming you're stacking in DSS and saving the FITS...

You can then export each channel independently into PS and play with the colour balancing there. That way you know you're getting the most from each channel.

Sorry if this is an egg sucking lesson... :)

Thanks for the comments folks! :)

Rob - Help me out here please mate, I would like to shift the colours a bit more towards the blue for the arms and yellow for the core. But this is how it 'naturally' came out after stretching. The problem I was having was when I tried to shift the colours - the noise levels seemed to increase?

I do seem to have a consistent battle with matching up darks. The darks for that night were taken before and after M31 and stacking with either set or combined made no difference. Really need that cooled CCD! :)

Thanks again,

Michael

Just a thought Michael, but have you tried streching the channels sepeartely using FITS Liberator? I'm assuming you're stacking in DSS and saving the FITS...

You can then export each channel independently into PS and play with the colour balancing there. That way you know you're getting the most from each channel.

Sorry if this is an egg sucking lesson... :)

Hi Michael,

Well...we learn something new everyday! I wasn't aware you could do that. I'll snap to it! Thanks. :)

Michael

Hello Michael.

To alter something like a magenta cast (or any other cast) using PS, there are a couple of ways you can do it.

Go to ....

IMAGE/ADJUSTMENTS/HUE & SATURATION

Then, in the drop down menu, pull back the magenta slider

A better way though, with much more control, is, in the IMAGE/ADJUSTMENTS menu, go to.....

SELECTIVE COLOUR

Again there is a drop down menu, and this allows you to adjust the amount of cyan, magenta, yellow and black in each of the m,ain colour categories.....play around with this and you'll finsd it invaluable for removing colour casts and lots of other things too.

Cheers

Rob

The Veil has come out really nicely for only 50min. Another hour and ten and it will be spot-on, it will also allow you to be a bit more choosy in the frames you stack. Did you apply any flats? As there seems to be a slight gradient to the right side of the Veil. I tried processing the tiff, but it didnt turn out quite as good as your original.

But if youre thinking of a CCD for crimbo, you cant go wrong with the 314L+ .... do it!.. resistance is futile :)

Your best yet, Michael, by a long way. You really have upped your game with these and well done. Lovely stuff.

The anti-green plug in can be found at Rogelio Bernal Andreo's Deep Sky Colors website.

I second Rob's suggestion of Selective Colour. I often adjust magenta that way and also push reds towards Cyan to bring out more of the deep red (Ha) signal.

You're flying!

Olly

CW- Thanks, the colours look much better; I'll see what I can do.

Rob- Yes it's the old amp/battery glow. I didn't take flats (oops!). 314 is high on the list! :)

Olly- Thank you your comment! and thanks for the link. I've downloaded a trial of PI and have all of Harry's vid's to watch so I was thinking on experimenting with these.

Thanks again folks for your comments and advice! :)

Michael