SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Grrrrr..... Interview on R2 today

Tim

If you can't see It doesn't mean that it does not exist.

I think there is an influence. But I don't know if it reflects in someone's emotions or whatever.

According to a well known dancing (not Strictly a dancer) astrologer, who was interviewed on R2 today, as we are composed of 70% water, it is only reasonable to believe that the moon would have a tidal effect on us, and therefore be the master of our emotions.

What is wrong with these people ?

:D:BangHead::):BangHead::o:BangHead::p:BangHead::hello2:

Come the revolution I suggest we find a large island in the middle of the ocean to populate with them..........and then sink it.

As it is, 14 million people had tripe for breakfast. I guess I'm not the only one who gagged on it!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy listening to R2 every morning but as soon as I heard who the guest on Evans show was this morning I tuned into another channel, the man is beyond words and the people that listen to his rambling... well what can I say. Hey i am a Virgo too!!!

I enjoy listening to R2 every morning but as soon as I heard who the guest on Evans show was this morning I tuned into another channel, the man is beyond words and the people that listen to his rambling... well what can I say. Hey i am a Virgo too!!!

Oooohhhhhh, Radio 2! :D

It's a serious situation, when the Nations Premier Broadcasting Company allows such drivel to be Aired. Does no one vet these

Imbeciles before letting them loose on the whole country's population. I think It's time an Edict was drawn up, and Pronounced by The Government, and the Monarchy, that Astrology is hereby classified as unadulterated Claptrap, and Tripe.

Anyone guilty of practicing such Drivel, shall be banished to the Land of Nod. Wherever that is. :D

Ron.

It is the BBC hypocrisy in action; they have a fairness policy that gives equal time to all sides of any point. Although (and this is the hypocrisy), I do not see them giving equal time to all sides on Thought for the Day on Radio4!

Just in case you were wondering, you can get an idea of my views on RD’s website (same user name) as I can not say it here.

A S T R O L O G Y

Absolutely

Stupid

Totally

Ridiculous

Obviously

Ludicrous

Obsolete

Garbage

Yawn

Any ideas of a suitable word for Y ?

John

EDIT:

I've got it "Y" is the question about astrology - As in WHY does anyone believe in this rubbish :icon_salut:

Or...

I think there is an influence......

I'll use that if I ever get stopped for "driving without due care and attention" again......

"Sorry Officer, I am driving under the influence........." :icon_salut::evil6:

To be fair to the show, the host did say something along the lines of "I'd like to believe it, but isn't it all just a bit of fun?", but it really does irk me, especially when you hear things like "Astrologer to the Queen" etc.

I suppose they balance it out with Brian Cox.

My favourite astrology joke is still "I dont believe in astrology, typical leo"

What I fine funny is that they do not even realise that constellations are not two dimensional, viewed from another angle they could see the distance between the stars that make up so called star signs and would make them a random collection.

57% would be a more accurate estimate of the water content of the average human.

The position of the planets can have a very specific effect on some people; causing changes in mood, behavior and disrupted sleep patterns.

We call these people Astronomers.

The position of the planets can have a very specific effect on some people; causing changes in mood, behavior and disrupted sleep patterns.

We call these people Astronomers.

:icon_salut::hello2::D:hello2::)

Brilliant!

You should know the facts: as the moon travels overhead, it's gravity pulls on you slightly making your brain a little lighter. This explains why otherwise sane people make ridiculous statements form time to time.

You can avoid this by wearing tinfoil on your head. An armadillo shell is better if you can get one.

25 + 15 + 60 + 5 = 105

Doh!

My bad- it all comes from thinking about averages. The level of protein and mineral are pretty constant in all healthy individuals but fat and water can vary considerably with age, gender, hydration status and of course level of obesity. Adult women of healthy weight are typically 25-30% fat, whilst men are leaner at 20-25% The range is much wider though and in modern society 40-50% fat is achievable with morbid obesity.

What I find most amusing is that astrologers are so far behind the times they still use the star signs as if no precession of the equinoxes has taken place since ancient Greek times. I spoke to a "serious" astrologer, who rather condescendingly said that I clearly did not realise that star signs and constellations were not the same thing. I then got him squirming in a logical half nelson by stating that in that case star signs had nothing to do with stars, but only with the time of year you were born.

If ever an astrologer gives you the same "argument" as in the Radio 2 programme, just ask why he thinks tidal forces only affect water?

The best summary I have heard remains:

Wishing on a star is astronomically stupid.

it seems to me that there are a significant number of people who feel the need for some sort of outside influence on their lives that they can use to explain what others might put down to sheer chance or hard work (or lack thereof) and/or who feel the need for some sort of guiding influence on their life to give meaning to their existence. There are also a huge number of people who are either unwilling or unable to reason critically and logically without recourse to emotion.

Whilst such people exist, charlatans of all types will prosper.

James

What can I say, proof positive that there is no intelligent life in the Universe. Seriously though, if "intelligence" develops only to the point that the species effectively takes itself out of the evolutionary process then I reckon biological intelligence will never actually amount to very much at all. Just think all those life bearing planets out there filled with their equivalent of our flat earthers, creationists and astrologers!

Mike H

I still think, since there's an interdiction re. religious discussion on SGL, it should be extended to the mocking of "new age" beliefs? <Mostly Teasing> But anyway, commercial Rip Off artists and... "Serious Astrologers" (I've no doubt my very use of the phrase will be derided?) are often ENTIRELY different beasts. There is also the simple entertainment thing. Do Astronomers have to be Humourless too? :)

PAGANS are well aware of the precession of the equinoxes etc. Star signs, the "four elements" of the medievalists, are often used as METAPHORES in spiritual development. Such ideas also figure in freemasonry, hermetic societies etc. The New Age has been bashed enough, by modern government legislature. The old granny Tarotist, earning a meager crust, might even be arrested in the modern-day "witchhunt" - Unless she declares herself to be "For Entertainment only" etc. :icon_salut:

I HONESTLY believe that the anti-religionist pose of "modern scientists" does more harm than good. ASTRONOMY (science generally), in the right hands, is [iMO] entirely self-promoting, without the current fad for "rock star" denigration of "Astrologers" (whatever). I guess, if you want to impress the post-pubescent teenage market? But some of them/us had already embraced science of our own volition... in the old days? :D

Just messing - So go EASY on the above? Just some alternative thoughts... :)

Fair enough. However, if they give a scientific argument for their belief, they open themselves up to scientific criticism. If they invoke tidal effects to explain astrology they become fair game to criticism from physicists and astronomers. If there logical inconsistencies in their arguments, they become fair game for mathematicians and philosophers.

In short, when ever they place astrology into the field of scientific discourse, the rules of scientific discourse apply. That means everything and anything may be called into question. As it turns out, they do not as a rule like their beliefs questioned (few people do).

I much prefer to get into a logical argument with them than ridiculing them. They often feel ridiculed when they get cornered, for the reason given above.

Archived