LX90 best eyepieces?

It would help if you told us which LX90 you have.

It sounds to me like your current eyepieces are pretty redundant. Maybe the Plossls are nice to have, but you can certainly get by with just the Naglers. It seems to me that you're missing lower power eyepieces. One or two in the 30 mm to 20 mm range would be good.

Hi Saturn10,

I am with Umadog, have not told us which one you have but certainly a lower power would be good. Have 2" 30mm, 40mm & 42mm for my 10"Lx. A friend swore by his 31mm Nagler on his, that was nearly all he used!.

Cheers

20mm or 25mm TV plossl.

You have good eyepieces for the higher magnifications, may suggest the 25mm plossl for the wider views.

The 32mm TV plossl would be wider but not sure that visually you would gain much and they cost more.

Keep the Naglers. If you sell them then at some time you will regret (very much) doing that.

If you didn't want to pay out for the TV 25mm (~£80), then the 25mm BST Explorer at £41 from Skys the Limit.

There is a 40mm Vixen lanthanum on here for sale now reduced £45 - would have thought unless you want to spend a lot on a wide field lens this would be excellent for your need as it would be of similar quality to the eyepieces you already have - as you have been a member for a while, not sure if the 50 post rule apply?

Hi Saturn 10

I'm going out on my own here,

But I love my Binoviewers (which i use on a 10" LX90

I use the Williams ones which are pretty cheap but very good and come with a pair of 20mm and a Barlow, They are all i really use. If the seeing is really good I will try another eyepiece but always come back to my bino's

I do play with single lenses but about 95% of the time is with the binos

I love using 2 eyes and and spend much more time at the eyepiece before I take a rest. I've said it before most of us are right eyed and what if your left eye is better ?

See if you can try a pair

Steve

Hi SAturn 10

Just had another thought, And I just want to repeat what others have said here

You really shouid have a good wide lense say 40mm, this will give great views of a much larger area of sky, It isn't just about magnification. Just imagine standing up close to a great painting.

It can look much better when you take a few steps back and somthings (like the double cluster) look great with just a little magnification. I enjoy starting with a wide field and getting my bearings with a star map and then closing in on a specific subject,

regards Steve

Hi Saturn10

Sort of 3d. but the effect from someting light years away is a little limited, But it's soo much easier

Try looking through one eye for a while and then try looking through both at the same time !

Lots of stuff is written about binoviewers but I'm sure my eyes work together and give a better view than individually:icon_scratch:

There is a 40mm Vixen lanthanum on here for sale now reduced £45 - would have thought unless you want to spend a lot on a wide field lens this would be excellent for your need as it would be of similar quality to the eyepieces you already have - as you have been a member for a while, not sure if the 50 post rule apply?

I do like Vixen EP's and i have looked at this one for sale. What is the FOV on this EP?

*edit*

I just found its a 42 degree FOV.

Too narrow a fov for my liking.

The perception of depth arising from stereo-vision requires that objects create a parallax shift from one eye to the next. Obviously there's no way that's going to happen for astronomical objects. So whilst the views can look better in bino, you don't get depth perception. You visual system is organised to work binocularly so viewing in bino can only be a good thing.

Archived