Narrowband

UK astronomy products

FLO

Good point. What about things like good quality CNC machined tube rings, dovetail bars, mirror cells and such :)

We source all those items from the US because there wasn't anything suitable here in the UK. The American products we handle from the likes of ADM, Astrozap, Moonlite and Optical Supports Mirror Cells are very well made and have proven successful. We have a good working relationship with them so are not looking to change that. We are however looking for other product lines from UK manufacturers.

Some good news: I spoke with an engineer (and SGL member) earlier today who is looking to bring a number of products to market. It was a very positive discussion, I am confident we will work well together so will be announcing at least one new product in 10-15 days :D

Steve

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*pokes*

My last email went into abyss I guess :)

I am only aware of one email. I did reply. Your products look interesting but we already source similar items from HitecAstro. You said you had another dealer interested, consider also Astrobuysell and Ebay. Your products are affordable, compact and lightweight so are ideal for that style of trading.

HTH :D

There is a world of difference between the cost of machining items as a one off on a manual milling maching and using a production cnc machine. These need huge investment but there are a number of companies in the North which have these and have lost the contracts that have funded them. A good place to start might be to talk to companies like BAE and ask them if there are precision engineering contractors with whome they have reduced workload who may be looking for new outlets.

I look forward to the "We are pleased to announce our new range of British made FLO astronomy accesories" ---

What would people most like to see made in the UK?

We have a result :D

later this month we will be announcing a new pier, pier mount adapters (for home-built piers) and extension tubes for HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts. All made in the UK!

The pier will be available to order in approx two-weeks.

Please keep the suggestions coming :icon_salut:

A suggestion for a more enterprising soul: An accessory for hyperion eyepieces that screws between the smyth element and the eyepiece body (so using the 2" threads) that would convert the EP to a true zoom - sort of a helical focusser. For example, this would convert the 5mm hyperion to a high power zoom EP.

I am only aware of one email. I did reply. Your products look interesting but we already source similar items from HitecAstro. You said you had another dealer interested, consider also Astrobuysell and Ebay. Your products are affordable, compact and lightweight so are ideal for that style of trading.

HTH :icon_salut:

No worries! :D It's just I personally prefer FLO services.

Sad part is my device is similar to Hitec one, about on same level as reflector similar to refractor :)

Sad part is my device is similar to Hitec one, about on same level as reflector similar to refractor ;)

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there :)

I think what Steve is looking for is for those products that fill the gaps in the market where a product doesn't actually compete with existing products already on the market that have the same functionality.

A suggestion for a more enterprising soul: An accessory for hyperion eyepieces that screws between the smyth element and the eyepiece body (so using the 2" threads) that would convert the EP to a true zoom - sort of a helical focusser. For example, this would convert the 5mm hyperion to a high power zoom EP.

Thats a good call!

There's probably a market for little packs of screws for eyepiece holders, finder brackets, focus locks, tripod/tube ring fittings (particularly non-marring ones) etc and handknobs

..and replacements for curly cables!!!!

Helen

We all know and love Bobs Knobs, but surely there has to be a means of buying screws that dont have to travel half way round the world??

No we don't, I found them to be the biggest waste of time/money so far for me.

Go to your local hardware shop and get some hex headed bolts (allen bolts). Much better, and only 20p.

I have a close friend who could make astronomy seats, perhaps based on the catsperch plans on Jim Fly's website. They'd be top quality, solid oak or ash or wood of choice. Not being an observer I am not sure what is available out there at the moment, I seem to remember there was an issue with some astro seats at some point though, with potential for an accident. Let me know if interested :)

Tim

I am a FLO customer, likewise with the Co-op.The Co-op gives you a choice of similar products and FLO sell Celestron and SkyWatcher. With most Newt OTAs, it seems that the colour is the main distinguishing feature.

Have met and bought from Sergey Kouminovs and he is as nice and honest a guy as the 'FLOs', so why not just see how it goes? Back in the last century they used to say "The Customer is right.", see if we are?

Thank you kindly :)

Just finished work on blue tooth control module for usual Sky Watcher autofocuser. Now need to brush a software to control it from pc, but already looks promissing ;)

Fully CE marked and approved under the guidelines for selling wireless devices in the EU ????

Archived