Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter Oct 26th DFK & Auto Dob

Space Cowboy

Thanks fellas! Can't seem to catch the GRS lately but at least imaging the "boring" side is good practice! Got about 6 avis to go through. Paid attention to the histogram again keeping it between 60-70%. This image was at 1/45sec ,30fps. Did try some at 1/76 sec , 60fps to see if it would beat the wobbly windy seeing. Jup is certainly a screen filler now just half a Jup width spare on the chip (using f30, 5x powermate).

Hope you don't mind me playing with levels in CS3 Stuart :icon_salut:

The weather here is sending me around the bend:eek::D

Thanks again guys!

Cheers Clayton nice luminance on your version :) I will run this avi through ninox and see what extra detail can be extricated. What size Dob have you got?

Thanks again guys!

Cheers Clayton nice luminance on your version :) I will run this avi through ninox and see what extra detail can be extricated. What size Dob have you got?

Only a 14" I'm afraid Stuart :p:)

Seriously though the extra focal length makes it a dog to track :D

Hopefully with a bit of collaboration we can sort these beasts out as it is a nightmare for Planetary imaging with "out of the factory" settings:rolleyes:

Although to be fair this is a pretty demanding task :o ATM

I'm sure we could do better if we had the $'s. But I know my boss is a little reluctant to help me out in this respect :):D

BTW Stuart I think I only played with the histo in CS3.

(note to self. Must post link to Quick and Dirty Procesing by Clayton Bigwood )

Many Ills are cured in the Histogram:evil6::icon_salut: (or in Photoshop speak "The Levels")

Regards

Rob

OMG you've got a Dob C14 !! Man if you can sought the tracking on that beast!!! I've heard those really big ones are dodgy trackers but hey anything is possible with a bit of guile! Does is track poor in both Alt and Az?

Are we talking about the SW Flextube Goto 350?

Hi, nice image Stuart, did you have any problems getting Jupiter on the chip with the 5x Powermate, as i spent a whole session without success just using the 2.5x. Managed it in the end the next night, though more by luck than skill. Attached is the result of my first go at astro-photography. A bit overprocessed, but things can only get better. hopefully.

Dave

SW 120pro

HEQ5 pro synscan

SPC880 (900) + 2.5X Powermate

post-26779-133877685418_thumb.jpg

Thanks again guys!

Dave that is a wonderful 1st astro image!

Imaging with a 5x powermate is no problem provided you do the right step by step preperation. Firstly I align Jupiter in my finderscope using a 32mm eyepiece with the powermate. I then use a 21-7mm zoom eyepiece firstly aligning at 21mm then 7mm. Now I have Jupiter nailed on the cross hair of my finderscope. If your finder is not accurate then you have no chance of getting Jup on the chip. Even if Jup is not on screen when I add the camera I know I can centre it using the finderscope.

Good detail Stuart. Not been doing anything here, Havent been in here either. you might have noticed. Decorating the house, its taking its toll. Claytons Lum stretch looks about right to me. I think thats the kind of levels you should be aiming for in post processing. As i said before you do what i keep doing. But when a lum stretch doesnt create too much noise or burnout the clouds. It looks more vibrant and rich. I also think it highlights the colour and detail more. You started doing that. Then go back to the the less levels version. Claytons levels look good. would be nothing wrong in using that as a guide ( reminder ) saving it. and comparing when post processing. So you get into the habit of not being shy on those levels. Its easy done. i do it all the time. Raising levels creates noise. in those cases sometimes a lower level does work better. But keep experimenting both ways. Your focal length is high. your pretty much doing the capturing great. You just need good seeing. for your best. But this is pretty good. like it

OMG you've got a Dob C14 !! Man if you can sought the tracking on that beast!!! I've heard those really big ones are dodgy trackers but hey anything is possible with a bit of guile! Does is track poor in both Alt and Az?

Are we talking about the SW Flextube Goto 350?

Yes it is the SW Flextube GoTo14"

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

To be honest I have only had it out twice. Once to assemble it and collimate it (then the clouds came in), the second time the seeing was really bad but I managed to get some 3min Avi's, but it was a real struggle in Alt as well as Az. I haven't spent any time getting the balance sorted or the backlash or clutch adjustment etc. But was hoping that I could get it sorted to a level that is practical to use :D

If all else fails it's going on the EQ6 :icon_salut::icon_eek::)

Hi, Stuart, many thanks for the comment and the tips on using the Powermate. Being the first time using the 2.5x i didn't realise the importance of the initial setting up. Also I used Registax 6 and Gimp to process my image, is there any great advantage in using Photoshop and if so will the "elements" edition be sufficient or do most use the expensive full program.

Dave

Good detail Stuart. Not been doing anything here, Havent been in here either. you might have noticed. Decorating the house, its taking its toll. Claytons Lum stretch looks about right to me. I think thats the kind of levels you should be aiming for in post processing. As i said before you do what i keep doing. But when a lum stretch doesnt create too much noise or burnout the clouds. It looks more vibrant and rich. I also think it highlights the colour and detail more. You started doing that. Then go back to the the less levels version. Claytons levels look good. would be nothing wrong in using that as a guide ( reminder ) saving it. and comparing when post processing. So you get into the habit of not being shy on those levels. Its easy done. i do it all the time. Raising levels creates noise. in those cases sometimes a lower level does work better. But keep experimenting both ways. Your focal length is high. your pretty much doing the capturing great. You just need good seeing. for your best. But this is pretty good. like it

Decorating your house with those wonderful images I hope Neil :icon_salut: Yeah I rushed the processing using my netbook which has a brighter monitor (that's my excuse for the low luminence).

Rather busy on the farm at the moment so not had time to do any tweaking. Was intending to run this avi through ninox to do a proper job.

Yes it is the SW Flextube GoTo14"

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

To be honest I have only had it out twice. Once to assemble it and collimate it (then the clouds came in), the second time the seeing was really bad but I managed to get some 3min Avi's, but it was a real struggle in Alt as well as Az. I haven't spent any time getting the balance sorted or the backlash or clutch adjustment etc. But was hoping that I could get it sorted to a level that is practical to use :D

If all else fails it's going on the EQ6 :icon_salut::icon_eek::)

Aahh...early teething days then. Surely your not going to spoil the fun by using an EQ mount! :) Important thing is to get it dead level and balanced. Align with stars at a low altitude or just use the auto track setting and start with it pointing north at 0 degrees.

Can't wait to see those first images! :)

Aahh...early teething days then. Surely your not going to spoil the fun by using an EQ mount! :D Important thing is to get it dead level and balanced. Align with stars at a low altitude or just use the auto track setting and start with it pointing north at 0 degrees.

Can't wait to see those first images! :icon_salut:

Thanks for the advice Stuart I will be trying those things:D:D If these @#$% Clouds ever move on:mad:

I'm sure I'll be having lot's of fun:rolleyes: sorting out the bugs:D

The EQ6 is only if all else fails :)

I hope you manage some more great captures with yours real soon:)

Archived