Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Astroblagger

My first guided image NGC 7000

here is my first guided image about an hours worth of 4 min subs with megrez 72 and modded canon 450D. Still have this issue with the strange glare that appears off the larger stars, since the camera has been modded, any advice on how to process them out? as it looks like im going to have to live with them in every photo.6283806083_8eab98f922_b.jpg

It's a bit big for the screen!

Good result and, yes, pity about the artefacts. I think you will have to clone stamp them out. I'd put a circular selection around the real star and feather it. Then Select Inverse and try the clone stamp. Not nice but it should work.

Strong Ha signal in any event but have you asked the modifier about what's going on?

Olly

That's a beautiful image and amazing considering it's your first guided image.

Thanks for the advice/comments will try that with photoshop cheers, The camera modder is adamant its not the camera and its a glare issue with my scope/flattner. Its strange as i see other people who have used the same scope and flattenr with a modded dslr and dont have this issue? maybe i will try a different flattener, but i get the same artifacts without fitting the flattener?

Congrats on your first guided image.. my favourite piece of sky...

Do you mean the red dots at about "5 o'clock" ..?

If you do maybe something somewhere is sitting ever so slightly out of square so the the reflections going back off axis...

Peter...

Yes the glare at 5 o'clock, I was sure everything was tight and aligned, if the focusser (ie the tensioning screw was overtight) could it cause this? Could it push the focusser out of alignment? What i really need is another dslr to do a comparison test.

I have sent for reinforcments... hopefully they will take a look at the image...

Any chance of posting pixel crop from the full size image around the brighter star above the pelicans beak (SAO 50180) say 300 x 300 pixels centered around it .. try and include the fainter halo and the solid red aretefact...

Peter....

Edited by Psychobilly

Those are really weird artefacts. I can't currently see how modding the DSLR could cause these though. This does look like an internal reflection issue although it is certainly strange that it is so red.

Can you describe the mod., was it just a filter removal or a filter replacement (i.e. a narrower IR filter in place of the original)?

Great image. The artifacts look like "lens flare" to me. The stars they surround do look very bright even to look at in the image.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Just floating ideas right now because I currently have no idea what is going on here but IF the new filter is lifted at one side, that would leave room for reflection between the face of the sensor and the rear of the replacement filter - would the reflection be red as this is an IR filter (red end of spectrum) ?

Great first guded image :D

Looks like an internal reflection to me too.

Rob

I have done afew more tests with the camera this time with a 50mm lens to take the possibility of lens flare from my scope/flattener out of the equation, i took some images of the moon to see if there was any glare and this is what i got compared to a crop of a previous image showing the artifact. the artifact appears in the same 5 oclock place. Do you think it is a camera problem after the mod?

post-22506-133877690839_thumb.jpg

post-22506-133877690846_thumb.jpg

post-22506-133877690852_thumb.jpg