Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Broken EQ2 legs

Brainstorm

I went to set up my EQ2 mount for my scope today, but when I went to tighten the clamps for the leg extensions, the locking knob broke off in my hand. The clamp itself is riveted to the leg so I can't even take it off to repair. To be honest, all the clamps sounded brittle as I was tightening them.

I've been looking to buy a new set of legs, but to no avail (unless I pay more than the whole setup is worth). I wondered if anyone knows a way to fix them that doesn't look too shabby, as I was looking to give this away as a gift. I'd hate to scrap the whole setup for the sake of one bracket.

Try a Jubilee clip or a U-bolt (used to bolt TV aerials on) in place. Not very pretty, but a quick, cheap and efficient fix.

It's a fairly common problem with these brackets I'm afraid - has happened to me in the past.

Try a Jubilee clip or a U-bolt (used to bolt TV aerials on) in place. Not very pretty, but a quick, cheap and efficient fix.

It's a fairly common problem with these brackets I'm afraid - has happened to me in the past.

Brilliant idea! I'm wondering if there's such thing as a jubilee clip with a 'wingnut' tightener. Just so I don't have to carry a flat head screwdriver around with me. Thanks again though.. at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel :D

I just took a look at my EQ2 tripod (and rest assured, one of my extension leg's locking bolt is about to break off soon too) and as getting a new tripod seems price ineffective, I would suggest choosing the tripod legs' hight you use the most and just glue or bolt them down hard - or the broken one at least. Seems rather agricultural, I know, but better than just scrapping the thing, anyway :D or of course, a large enough hose clamp might work well, should you get an appropriate diameter

I just took a look at my EQ2 tripod (and rest assured, one of my extension leg's locking bolt is about to break off soon too) and as getting a new tripod seems price ineffective, I would suggest choosing the tripod legs' hight you use the most and just glue or bolt them down hard - or the broken one at least. Seems rather agricultural, I know, but better than just scrapping the thing, anyway :D or of course, a large enough hose clamp might work well, should you get an appropriate diameter

There's a couple of issues with this method,

(1) due to the nature of a newtonian, the eyepiece sometimes ends up in such a position that you need to adjust the legs height to compensate.

(2) It will not load into the car extended.

I think the route of a large "wingspade" hose clamp is the most feasible.

Since this appears to be a common fault, I'm wondering if Skywatcher have changed their design to solve this.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130P with an EQ2 mount, and I had one of the plastic clamps crack, and on the other, the bronze bush screwed itself out of the plastic and up the bolt without there ever being any sensation of it being tight. Using brittle plastic in a stressed component seems a little odd. I like the idea of using a Jubilee clip.

Archived