Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5x Powermate or eyepiece projection

davejet

Hi,my names Dave and i live in a city on the south coast, and new to astronomy, and at 68 a bit late. I have been getting great info from the forums for many month and felt, that as i now have managed to work out how to use most of the equipment i could join in. I have just managed to image Jupiter for the first time since getting my SW 120pro and HEQ5 pro synscan in May of this year I used an SPC880 flashed to 900 with a 2.5x Powermate, all processed in Registax and Gimp. The image was a bit small and i wondered if it would be better to get a 5x powermate or to use my 8mm Hyperion mounted in front of the webcam. Unfortunately not in a dark sky site. Any help gratefully received. DaveJupiter 20,10,2011

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always used eyepiece projection (10mm skywatcher EP) and had good results.

Yes the 5x powermate option would be a lot simpler to use than afocal
Don't confuse eyepiece projection with afocal.

Afocal is using a camera with it's lens attached mounted over the eyepiece. Eyepiece projection has the camera with no lens mounted over the eyepiece.

I have never used an imagemate so it may well give better results but I have been pleased with the results from a cheap skywatcher EP so give it a go and EP projection adaptor is a lot cheaper than an imagemate.

Here is an image taken with eyepiece projection and my 10" newt.

Mike.

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture4838-moon-mosaic2.jpg

Don't confuse eyepiece projection with afocal.

Afocal is using a camera with it's lens attached mounted over the eyepiece. Eyepiece projection has the camera with no lens mounted over the eyepiece.

Mike.

I did not know that. Thought they were synonymous. :D

Hi Dave and welcome to SGL, I should not worry about age, as I can give you a few years and I love the subject, the only trouble is the cold, now that takes its toll, not like these young guns who are able stay out all hours and temperatures :D

John.

Hi, many thanks for the welcome messages and the helpful advice, much appreciated. I will post my first attempt at imaging Jupiter as soon as i work out how to.

PS> i hope i have posted this message in the right place

Archived