Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to this game

Muphrid

Hi, I'm Brad, from the heart of the midlands. I'm very new to astronomy, having visited the Peak Star Party last Saturday for a look around. Not got a scope yet, but I'm thinking about it. I do use binoculars however and have a pair of 10x50s - old Zeiss, but still in good nick.

I'm into photography in a big way, but I'm not sure that I can get my head round this astro imaging. Saw what a couple of the guys had managed during the star party and I'm certain I would never be able to have the patience to do that!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Muphrid.

Welcome to SGL, you do not say where in the midlands but East Midlands Stargazers community on SGL covers a lot of the mids. Have two dark sites at Sawley & Belper.

As far as astro imaging is concerned, probably best to get started visually first. There is an excellent book called Making Every Photon Count that is worth buying.

Good luck

Hi Brad,

Welcome to SGL. I wish I'd started with binoculars and learnt the constellations a bit first before taking the plunge, there's no rush to get a scope until you feel ready!

I have to say, patience comes in handy for imaging. Planetary imaging with a webcam is something that I found a bit more immediate than deep sky imaging, so if you did want to take the plunge later I'd recommend trying the moon and planets with a webcam first.

Have fun!

Luke

Archived