Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD will not connect

Hi Everyone,

Just doing a dry run all cables connected to notebook fired up

in stellarium scope I select EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6 into properties

I check the baud timeout set the com port to 3 but EQMod says

not found but in device manager there it is com 3.

Can anyone please help I can almost taste it, its that close.

BigBlueOne.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My NC10 Notebook uses COM3 for something... Bluetooth... I forget what, now! But, even the automatic scan tends to stall on (and suggest) COM3. Better to right click on "My Computer" --> Properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager... and CHECK *which* COM Port dynamically appears (Under USB controllers) when you insert the USB connector from the mount interface? Just my initial thought... :D

Hi Macavity,

Went back into device manager everything was OK, I really dont

know why I went back into stellarium deleted the two config files

in the plugin screen added the new one connected without a problem.

At the moment Im slewing around my bedroom for all Im worth

connected only by my notebook what a happy bedroomgazer I am.

Thankyou again BigBlueOne.

Update,

Now that would be a sight to see one of those flying around my bedroom, another small problem some of slews from star to star

within stellarium are on the money, but some are just so far out

its unbelievable is this the norm.

BigBlueOne.

Update to Update,

For some reason I can control scope from stellarium, but when I double check Im not actually connected to eqmod.

So when I now try to connect in eqmod it refuses to find the com port which I,ve checked is com 4.

Any idea's much appreciated. BigBlueOne.

The big difference from your bedroom to outside is when you slew to each star you make sure it is in the center of your ep and then you click the sync tab.

With every star you sync the eqmod builds up a picture of the sky and then adjusts the errors automaticly.

Thats the simplefied version for a correct version you will need to speak to chris-hillto he wrote the eqmod program and is a member of SGL.

He will soon sort out your problems.

Graham

I,ve tried going into eqascom toolbox and connecting thru the

connect radio button and Im getting "Connect Error" timeout.

I,ve tried the baud settings along with the timeout I,ve touched

nothing else.

Thankyou BigBlueOne.

IMHO Stellarium is more trouble for scope control than it is worth. It's great for looking at but without ascom compliance too fiddly.

CdC is the way to go for use inconjunction with EQMOD, 2 clicks and you're connected !

The usb adapter from mount to PC will usually sit on something like COM4, this is not the COM port number you need to use to control the mount. When the mount is turned on it will then grab a higher COM port.

I might be wrong here and I am sure someone will correct me but I think the handset must be set in pc direct mode to allow it to be controlled by the computer.

Also have you downloaded the Stellarium add on (which I cannot for the life of me think what it is called) to allow eqmod to talk to Stellarium.

Steelfixer is correct - you have to set the mount handset to PC Direct .....and the plug-in is called Stellarium Scope.

Here's a screen shot of the settings that work for me. Ctrl + 1 slews the scope, Ctrl + 3 syncs the scope position to the target in Stellarium and Ctrl + 5 stops the scope slewing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

post-19045-133877684237_thumb.jpg

Archived