SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

110mm f/6 QUADRUPLET ED APO refractor

With that 65mm quad refractor having had more than it's share of problems I wonder if this 110mm quad will turn out any better considering it's relatively modest price tag of £1,300.00 (Australian price)? What's quality control going to be like at that price level?

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-content-section-10-longperng.htm

ED APO 110mm f/6 QUADRUPLET refractor with ED FPL-51+NBM51 lens and new heavy duty bearing type 2.7" 11:1 microfocuser!

Includes FPL51+NBM51 ED lens

New heavy duty bearing type 11:1 dual speed Long Perng 2.7" micro-focuser with 1.25" adaptor/brass compression ring

Superb overall mechanical quality, similar to William Optics

Includes aluminium carry case with custom-cut foam lining!

Accessories shown are optional

110mm x 660mm (focal length)

John

post-14522-133877683964_thumb.jpg

LongPerng is Synta, and recently they got some kick by manufactering the new SW APO scopes (that got good feedback). That scope is somewhat similar in look to new TS 102 and 115 mm APOs with Riccardi reducer/flattener.

TSAPO65Q/AT65EDQ are of unknown origin somewhere in China, rather not LongPerng as it would probably leak quickly. If you want to fix the triangles just loosen the flattening lens:

:D

LongPerng is Synta, and recently they got some kick by manufactering the new SW APO scopes (that got good feedback). That scope is somewhat similar in look to new TS 102 and 115 mm APOs with Riccardi reducer/flattener.

TSAPO65Q/AT65EDQ are of unknown origin somewhere in China, rather not LongPerng as it would probably leak quickly. If you want to fix the triangles just loosen the flattening lens:

:D

But you've done that, I thought, and still have triangular stars?

They are certainly triangular in your Pleiades test shot now on the forum. Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Olly

Still playing with it. It did helped for other people. I've borrowed Ronchi eyepiece so I'll check also that, and maybe I'll try adjusting the inner lens when the scope is fully cooled. The flattening lens is directly hold by a metal ring (no plastic/teflon o-ring etc.) so it may be tricky to make it work just like that.

If that won't help I can replace it untill it starts working :D Aside of that it just works.

yes, but most people don't want to open up their scopes & fix the elements when the scopes should have been manufactured properly in the 1st place. Especially if it's imaging your doing, the scope manufacturing on this "quad" design is garbage .... end of....From what hear Wolfi has quite a few returns on this scope, not just ian king's batch, mine & a few others, maybe thats why their in stock most of the time.

It won't be resolved untill someone will finaly discover what's going wrong in those scopes. When that's done either the shop or the factory may apply a real solution for the problem... and it must work or there will be a pile of dusty refractors lying somewhere :D

The idea is nice so it would be nice if it would work.

If the design worked out of the Box, who would not want one... & it would not surprise me if any of these far eastern manufactures have probably got something on their books to produce something like this sooner then later.

If we accept dud telescopes the manufacturers will keep on making them.

A telescope should work and both design and quality control need to be up to the task.

Olly

I agree.

It's in our hands i) not to accept below par build and performance and ii) be a little realistic about the challenges and costs of making multi-element apochromats well.

£1,300 for a quadruplet 111mm refractor is peanuts I reckon.

Archived