Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Putthi Cheat Lim

Is it possible to see meteorites off the meteor shower peak time?

I know that Orionid meteor shower peaked on the 21st-22nd. Tonight just when I was trying to locate Jupiter in my finderscope, I saw a light shooting through my view just below Jupiter, heading left-downward, so it seemed like it was heading towards Orion constellation. Could it be a meteor or shooting star or something else or just my imagination:icon_eek:? I am quite sure that it wasn't because my scope was moving because Jupiter was already in the middle of my view and the width of the "meteor" light was even bigger than Jupiter.

You can get sporadic meteors any time. Orionids head AWAY from Orion, so something heading towards it won't be an Orionid.

What magnification were you using? It could have been a satellite which would appear to move quickly across a small field of view at a reasonable magnification.

At a few minutes past seven this morning I saw a large shooting star bursting into a greenish light NW direction from South London, also heading NW fom my viewpoint (I live on a hill). At first I thought it might have been a chunk of Rosat spacecraft, but then saw here the metorite shower threads in here - a more likely explanation.

What magnification were you using?

What I used was just a small 8x50 right angle finderscope that comes with Skywatcher 10" Flextube Dobsonian. Yeah, it could be a satellite.

@ravedog: that must have been really beautiful and amazing that you could see it from London. When I lived there I could hardly see anything in the sky except the moon because of heavy light pollution.

I know that Orionid meteor shower peaked on the 21st-22nd. Tonight just when I was trying to locate Jupiter in my finderscope, I saw a light shooting through my view just below Jupiter, heading left-downward, so it seemed like it was heading towards Orion constellation. Could it be a meteor or shooting star or something else or just my imagination:icon_eek:? I am quite sure that it wasn't because my scope was moving because Jupiter was already in the middle of my view and the width of the "meteor" light was even bigger than Jupiter.

Yes, I capture four Orionids meteors with WATEC two days after the peak.

Some showers apresent peak very well definite ( like Orionids) but anothers have peaks with more than seven days (like Northern and Southern Taurids and Ursids), anothers yet have multiple peaks throughout the month (like Sigma Capricornids).

I recomend this site to know the estimate ZHR for every shower as well as the aproximate peak:

- http://meteorshowersonline.com/

[ ]´s

Were the Orionids busier than usual this year? I can't find after-reports but a few of my friends saw more than one, which is unusual judging by what pals have seen in previous years here in Leicestershire.