Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strange tracking error

Hi, I'm curious as to what is causing this strange occurance on my subs. Just normal unguided CG5 mount with dual axis drives. It seems that if I use 30 seconds I am getting weird tracking error but using 15 seconds it's normally fine give or take a few subs. First I thought it was polar alignment but it is the same every night. The stars dont trail as such but they are duplicating. Any ideas?

Here is an example of it:

andromeda30sec.jpg

cropa.jpg

Carl

Yep, what Graham is referring to is known as backlash. This can be reduced by balancing the scope slightly differently (you want the lifting side to be slightly heavier)

The other possibility is PE (Periodic Error).

If your pier side is west, pointing east, then the counterweight will be rising and that side will need weighting. On the other side of the meridian, the scope is rising and that end will need weighting... I think that's right, perhaps someone can sanity check that for me...

Archived