Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun yesterday a single shot!

madjohn

Had a couple of hours to play yesterday so after doing all the little chores I've been meaning to do I mounted my Coronado Solarmax 40 in my ozzy and tried to image the sun between clouds.

After some software glitchs I managed to shoot some stills and 4 videos.

I was sitting there and getting nowhere with the video files, my pc wouldn't recognise them (Ho hum here we go again...) and I got bored trying! so I thought I would have a go at the stills I took.

This is a single exposure of 1/8th sec at ISO 100, I used my experience in deep sky to get this quick result but happy with it for only 15 mins work!:(

This is my very first narrowband solar shot although I have shot some basic white light images in the past using the Baader mylar A4 film...

Two different goes at the same data, which do you prefer?:)

post-15189-133877682667_thumb.jpg

post-15189-133877682673_thumb.jpg

Our Club is raising enough to get a Coronado for our daytime outreach events. We have been able to borrow one, but that is not the same as owning one for ourselves. Yes, I will vouch that the image through one is very much like these images above!

Yes, I prefer the picture on the left, as well, but I am a bit curious as to why the brighness of the disk is off-center ? Some sort of vignetting going on there ? Have you tried it with a different eyepiece ( are you using eyepiece projection ) or made sure your camera is centered with the light cone ?

Just curious.

Jim S.

Hi Jim

This was my first go at solar as I said, I had my camera mounted on the diagonal as there looks like another filter or something in there normally I have a single extension tube with no diagonal for my deep sky imaging so your probably right that the light cone is not quite centered or something.

I agree that the solarmax is a great bit of kit, you can see so much surface detail using one as well as the promeneces:)

Hi Jim

This was my first go at solar as I said, I had my camera mounted on the diagonal as there looks like another filter or something in there normally I have a single extension tube with no diagonal for my deep sky imaging so your probably right that the light cone is not quite centered or something.

I agree that the solarmax is a great bit of kit, you can see so much surface detail using one as well as the promeneces:)

Yes, the diagonal is an essential part of the solar filtering so you must use it.

Solar is so much fun :)

Helen

does it actually look like that through the scope?

no. the image through any Ha scope is a deep red colour. you do see surface detail, filaments and prominences, however significant post processing is required to turn the scope image into what is seen in most "Ha" images.

Archived