Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomer from Somerset

coxy322

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Coxy - welcome to SGL (from another IT engineer - they seem to be 2 a penny on here :-) ).

I'm in Dorset but brought up in Somerset and there are some good dark skies not far from Taunton!

Good luck

Gareth

Hi Gareth!

My boss has also just taken up the hobby too - so thats another IT/Astro junkie! Good to have somebody else who is new to it and share learning etc!

What sites around Taunton did you find the best? Been to Culmhead a few times. Also could imagine quantocks & perhaps Crowcombe could be good?

What bino's you got there Daz? Its a pain to set the scope up, so some nights would be handy to have a pair for those quick looks!

Just a cheap pair of Tronic 8-24x50 on an old camera tripod. Quite surprising what you can see with them really, I never thought of using them until quite recently. They have been in a drawer for years. :)

Hi Gareth!

My boss has also just taken up the hobby too - so thats another IT/Astro junkie! Good to have somebody else who is new to it and share learning etc!

What sites around Taunton did you find the best? Been to Culmhead a few times. Also could imagine quantocks & perhaps Crowcombe could be good?

Yes - Quantocks are good, esp NW, so Crowcombe as you say and up towards Bicknoller etc.

The levels are also dark - I lived in Bridgwater and heading out towards Glastonbury (Shapwick, Westhay etc) gets nice and dark.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi - welcome to SGL

I'm not too far from you - north about 40 miles, near J19 on the M5.

You may be able to make out the spiral arms in the galaxy M51 from a very dark site. I've seen them with a 12" scope but my 10" won't quite resolve them from my back garden.

A Telrad finder would be a good addition to that scope - it's a sort of red dot finder but projects 3 red circles like a "bullseye" instead. It's very helpful for star hopping because the circles have a defined angular diameter against the sky.

Hi jahmanson,

Telrad ordered! Just deciding if I should dual mount alongside the existing finder... ?!

...Telrad ordered! Just deciding if I should dual mount alongside the existing finder... ?!

A dual finder setup gives you all the options although I have to say I use the Telrad on it's own most of the time.

Archived