Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

LukeSkywatcher

How often do you just forget optical aides and....

Just go outside and chill out and relax and stare up at the night sky?

I honestly think the best optics are the eyes.

I love to just go out often and look up and think/wonder.

I think about just how far objects are away from us, how BIG they are etc.

When i spend any time outside under the night sky without any optics/technology..............i really do my best thinking as to just where the hell us humans fit into the grand scheme of things.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I agree. Learnt a lesson tonight, went out, it was very clear, rushed back in to get the camera & remote, then it was cloudy. :)

I should have just made the most of the window I had.

Edited by Beulah

Hi Paul,

I do it every time I go out with the scope. I tend to spend a lot of time away from the EP and just look up and get to grips with the splendour.

When I watch programmes about the big scopes on mountain tops I become more envious of the unaided view they have than with the optics they use.

I agree too. When out imaging the stress of getting everything working, hoping the seeing will hold out and praying you know what to do with the results can be quite stressful at times. Then I look up and can't help but smile. So I try to sit in a garden chair and just look up. It's wonderful.

Same here, just go out and look up, my neighbours might think I'm nuts now that's it's very cold out there :)

All the time! Every night I stick my head outside and take a look, cloudy or not.

Even when I do drag the dob outside, I spend an equal amount of time just looking up without the scope.

In the early hours I like to spend 30 minutes just viewing the sky unaided before calling it a night.

I normally manage to see a few meteors whilst doing this.

Good way to wind down before bed.

Most nights, because I work during the week.

During the week I go out at night when going for a smoke and look up at the wonder of it all. The wife kind of gets it, which is a bonus.

She doesn't get it tonight though. I am sat with 2 laptops watching graphs and listening to ELO, RUSH, Thin Lizzy, Paul Weller and The Mission but it's only 2:30 in the morning so I may get some order to the music

For me, it's always in the morning when the moon is still in view and I think "that's really close to us" !

I do it all the time.

Neil

There are some nights when it's clear enough to observe but I just don't want to take my dob out for one reason or another. Then I go out onto the patio and spend some time just looking up. Last night was such a night and I was looking up at the summer triangle, remembering previous sessions and the wonderful things I've seen :)

Makes me happy :(

I like to get well wrapped up with a small flask of coffee, use the sun lounger and just stare at the heavens :)