Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC410 with Tadpoles

MartinB

I'm at a bit of a loose end at the moment, this time of year always seems like a bit of a hiatus for the area of sky accessible to me in the evening. I wanted to image the Wizard but it's behind trees for me so went to hunt tadpoles and have found it hard work. Usual struggles with passing clouds and some terrible seeing along with mistakes setting up the filters in Maxim (usual sort of stuff really). Captured over several moonlit nights. Had to ditch about 50% of the data in the end.

Scope: SW MN190

Camera: QSI 532 wsg with lodestar

Baader NB filters

Ha 10x30mins OIII and SII both 20x10mins binned x2

Captured, calibrated and combined in Maxim. Processed in PS and PI. The processing was fairly heavy going and I have several versions but my wife picked this one, and I trust her judgement!

post-12794-133877682072_thumb.jpg

That made my jaw drop!

What's your opinion on binning S2 & O3? I've recently tried that route myself, works really good with a target strong in Ha, so you can use the Ha as lum too.

I can't belive the level of images presented in this forum, if someone told me amateurs could shoot stuff like this just some year ago, I'd never belive it.

Fantastic scope, that 190MN, eh? :)

That's lovely, Martin, and shows no sign of the tribulations behind it. As you say, the usual stuff! As I write this inside I'm thinking, 'I did click autosave, didn't I??')

The colour mapping is great and not a nasty halo in sight.

And the taddies are ten lightyears long...

Olly

Thanks a lot everyone

That made my jaw drop!

What's your opinion on binning S2 & O3? I've recently tried that route myself, works really good with a target strong in Ha, so you can use the Ha as lum too.

I didn't think there was going to be much detail in this target that wasn't present in Ha so decided to bin the SII and OIII since I was only going to be using them for hue and saturation. I had a good look at the first subs which confirmed this. Binning seems to make sense provided you aren't wanting to add anything to the luminence channel and you are using tone mapping to get rid of the stars.

Absolutely stunning Martin.. full of interest and wonder

I have to ask, does the QSI 532 not have a build in OAG?

Yes, I was using the wsg version which has a built in OAG and filter wheel. I can also use it without the OAG and then it is the "ws" !

Archived