Narrowband

bresser messier r90

hi all

i'am in thinking of getting a Skywatcher Skymax 127 ota as a second scope

but have been offered a bresser messier r90 refractor telescope at a good price

have any you members got a r90 and how would it compare to the skymax 127

thanks

steve

Don't have either however the refractor is 90mm F/10 so 900mm FL. They say it will give 200x, I would say 150x max and have anything recognisable. Equally I suspect that the 127 will not really be used much beyond 150x. It may take it but you may not actually go above 150x often.

It is an achro so will have some CA but not a lot hopefully. The main advantage is that the field of view will be wider, makes it generally easier to use, the 127 will be a narrow field of view.

The new price seems to be £275. Not sure what the offer is to you. The mount looks an EQ but a basic one. Guess EQ2.

Both are highish f numbers so most eyepieces will be fine in them. No expense for either.

The 2 scopes are both similar and somewhat different that a comparison is a little meaningless. (Weird). Comes down really to Mak or refractor and possibly little else.

For the same magnification the 127 will have the brighter image as it collects twice the light. Neither should need collimating so no disadvantage there. Cool down advantage is probably with the refractor.

If the refractor is a good price then it will be a good general scope, general in the terms that it is decent on most things but not excellent at a particular one.

Owing to the additional diameter I am a little more drawn to the 127 Mak, depends on the price of the refractor. Difficult one. Tempted to say buy the refractor as well. It doesn't seem to be a case of which one, they just seem to be different and not comparable in an "either or" sense.

I have the feeling there will be nights when the refractor gets used and others when the Mak gets used. The refractor for quick set up and ease of use, the Mak for more detailed viewing.

Archived