Narrowband

Hello.

Big_Daz

Hello, I have been interested in the night sky for ages but never took the time to take any attention to stars/planets/constellation ect until recently.

I do not own a scope yet but I now use a pair of binoculars and all I can say is WOW!!! I have never noticed so much detail in the moon before. I also thought that the brightest star I could see was the north star, what an idiot I felt when Stellarium showed me that it was Jupiter.

lol.

I now have read up a little and have spotted a few constellations that I can see from my backyard but I would really like is to find a friendly stargazer near Yeovil, Somerset. to offer me round for a coffee, chat and maybe a look through their telescope (hope i'm not being too cheeky) so I can get an idea on what to buy for myself and what I could expect to see with said scope. Also if anyone has any advise on scopes for the beginner for around the £100-£150 price range, I would much appreciate any help. Thank you.

Wishing dark nights and clear skies for all, Daz.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Daz and welcome to the lounge. I love your enthusiasm and I'm sure you'll find someone near you willing to show you the ropes (I nearly said "show you their equipment" but that's probably a different forum :) )

Hi Daz, welcome to SGL.

Use your binoculars now to find your way around the sky. If you choose to buy a telescope your knowledge will help you to 'star hop'. If you are like most of us you will get bigger and better scopes and never run out of objects to observe.

Eric

Hi Daz and welcome to SGL :)

This is a typical starter scope around your maximium budget. Very nice little scope, popular with many beginners, and will show you a lot more than binocs. Make sure you get one with a parabolic mirror. I had one of these for a while and was very impressed with it - especially on the brighter objects in the sky.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130

It would be a good idea to join your local astro soc and get a look through one or two scopes before you buy so you can set your expectations appropriately :(

@Inkpen lol I had to type carefully on my first post because I nearly said "Equipment"

@Brantuk I was expecting a 5" or 6" newtonian to start with maybe on an EQ mount, the skywatcher seems to be quite a popular starter option. As for a local astro soc, I'm not sure if there is one local, Bristol and Salisbury are a bit far really. Anyone know of any closer? Thanks for all the greets. Daz.

Hi Daz and welcome to the forum

As I live in Bristol, I might be able to advise you on something close to you but would need to know where you are. Damian above makes an important point in "try before you buy" as its the only way of establishing your own benchmark of what will meet your expectations. Budget is of course important but you don't want to buy and then have to resell to get what you feel you need - wastes more of your money that way.

Clear skies

James

Archived