Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Understanding the Strong Force

Hi guys I need your help.I have difficulty in understanding the strong force.Could the strong force be related to three different quantised phases of spin of a particle. Or would this contradict any established facts. I'm trying to understand it in terms of Field theory but in order to do this I need a better understanding in particle physics. It is described using colour but I want to know what this really represents in the real world.

Morning Darkstar;

I had to lie down in a dark room after reading your thread. I have no idea I'm afraid. The only strong force I am familiar with is depicted in my username picture. If, however, you ever want to crush the rebel alliance- i'm your man.

May the dark side be with you

I'm trying to understand it in terms of Field theory but in order to do this I need a better understanding in particle physics.
Despite a Ph.D in particle physics, lectures on "Field Theory" usually lost me fairly rapidly. <G> I have attended lectures by CERN's (great) theorists on Quantum Chromodynamics. They usually lost me, by "Equation Two". One time I was sitting next to a "very clever" colleague. "Do you understand this stuff"?, I whispered. "Of course NOT... but Bl**dy Clever isn't it"!?, he chuckled. He is now a (full-time, UK) professor of particle physics... :p

My point: There will always be room for Ph.D Particle Physicists - Hardware Guys, phenomenologists... Valuable blokes (girls!) as experimentalists. But revolutionising the whole of theoretical particle physics is an ability granted to but a FEW people per generation? Not to discourage you, but as Sgt. Wilson (Dad's Army) was wont to intone: "Do you really think that's wise, Sir? :(

There is BEAUTY in the "old-fashioned" stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Way_(physics)

And STILL current, as far as I know. :)

I'm trying to understand it in terms of Field theory but in order to do this I need a better understanding in particle physics.
Despite a Ph.D in particle physics lectures on "Field Theory" usually lost me fairly rapidly. <G> I have attended lectures by CERN theorists on Quantum Chromodynamics. Again, they usually lost me, by "Equation Two". One time I was sitting next to a "very clever" colleague. "Do you understand this"?, I whispered. "Of course NOT... but Bl**dy Clever isn't it"!?, he chuckled. He is now a (full, UK) professor of particle physics... :p

My point: There will always be room for Ph.D Particle Physicists - Hardware Guys, phenomenologists... Valuable blokes (girls too!). But revolutionising the whole of theoretical particle physics is an ability granted to but a FEW per generation? Not to discourage you, but as Sgt. Wilson (Dad's Army) was wont to intone: "Do you really think that's wise, Sir? :(

There is BEAUTY in the "old-fashioned" stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Way_(physics)

And STILL current, as far as I know. :)

Could the strong force be related to three different quantised phases of spin of a particle.

Hmm, that's where higher-dimension theories like Kaluza-Klein come in, I guess. The idea is that the strong force (and the other two) is, somehow, derived from the gravitational interactions in a higher-dimensional spacetime. In which case, the spin of the particle in some of the hidden dimensions would manifest itself as "electric charge", "weak charge" or "strong charge".

Wikipedia to the rescue?

Quantum field theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I notice the "peer review" hasn't generated too many critical comments.

There is a "request for expansion" though! :(

In the mid-80s, text books on "Field Theory" seemed few and far between(?). The Wikipedia page suggests some (up to date?) possibilities. But I felt that my undergrad "Maths for Physicists" lectures (back then) fell short re. the prerequisites for understanding this stuff...

I'm retired. I can admit to "stupidity". Maybe I should ask the:

Simonyi Professorship for the Public Understanding of Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to give us a lowdown on Creation/Destruction operators, Knonecker Deltas etc.

I DO suspect Marcus du Sautoy, could give it a fair crack. Idem Jim Al-Khalili... Brian Cox, maybe? [teasing]

I wouldn't mind putting "Evolutionary Biologist" Richard Dawkins on the spot though... :)

Archived