SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A brief session

jgs001

With my youngest last night. He badgered me for a while, even though it was near bedtime, to "let's go telescoping"... in the end I conceeded, stuck my 80ED on the camera tripod (the one I use for single shots of the moon and sun), removed the camera adapter (first time in over a year that's been off :)) and grabbed the ep case. Another first, I used my WO Dielectric/CF diagonal, much more solid holding the Hyperions, I have to say. In fact, I think this is the first time I've looked at deep sky with the 80ED and Hyperions, and what a lovely view it was. We mainly used the 24mm.

I started with Mirfak and the Mirfak association, a wonder up to the Double Cluster, a very crisp view. I amazed myself, by managing to land M31 in the middle of the FOV without really trying. And we had a look at the milky way (unaided). The conditions could have been a lot better, high level mist by the sky colour, but the band was dimly visible. I finished off with a quick view of Jupiter. He was impressed with the 24mm, but then I changed it for the 5mm, and he was blown away. Especially with the bands and the moon.

Sadly, that was all we had time for, it was fun though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived