Narrowband

m33 tonight

andrew63

Nice clear night but turned a bit hazy later by 11ish.

Thought I'd post some impressions of the view of M33 around 22.45 which might be of help for others looking for this object.

Started looking with a 32mm eyepiece in my 4" refrc. mag. x22. Well I could describe it as a low contrast smudge or like a tiny bit of breath on the eyepiece before it clears! Ok a bit more constructive - it was like a small edge bit of m31 before you loose it against the background and in some ways quite similar in appearance to M110 but slightly larger and even more diffuse! I changed to a 20mm mag. x35 and M33 stood out a little clearer. Size wise - about a medium finger nail, but would increase no doubt under more favourable conditions.

It's certainly a challenge unless you happen to have dark skies!

andrew

Nice to hear you got M33. From a dark site it can be most impressive, but not in the IN YOUR FACE way of M42 :). A wide field scope like my 80mm or the 15x70 bins can get you a good impression of spiral arms. I have also got it in my C8 at 50x (1.38 deg FOV), and it was most impressive, though it is not framed as nicely as in a wider field instrument.

It will certainly be lost in any skyglow - but in the middle of a square shape of stars - like a mini pegasus - and suddenly you notice it. I have failed with M101 these few weeks while observing the SN - I know it's lurking but need for it to rise in the sky as it's similar contrast to m33.

It has decent guide stars and is meant to be one of the brighter galaxies yet this one always seems to elude me.

Did have a quick look for it in 15x70s tonight but although sky here is not bad (semi-rural) it is just too hazy.

Foiled again!

It may be bright, but that is integrated brightness, i.e., how bright it would appear if all the light were concentrated in a single point. Because it is an extended source, the surface brightness is more important. Because the source is VERY extended in the case of M33, it is one of the harder galaxies to get.

With M33 last session, I got lucky. Everytime I tried to observe it before, I just saw an indistinguishible faint blob that appeared only with averted vision. The sky quality that night was unusual for where I observe and with M33 being at the zenith at that time of the night, I decided to tackle it.

Last session however, the contrast that the skies delivered was exceptional. M33 appeared waaaay larger than ever before, filling the exact patch of sky - among the typical star pattern that surrounds it - as it does in photographs. With averted vision, I was even able to see hints of two main spilar arms, so I skeched it. At home, after comparing the sketch to the actual photograph of M33, I found that I got them right, albeit one was only sligtly off. Overall, surprising results I reckon, keeping in mind that my scope is only 4.5" toy newtonian :)

M33 is a DSO with low sirface brightness, so it seems that for successful observation of M33, all you need really are pitch-black skies. Furthermore, M33 should be preferable at the zenith :(

With M33 last session, I got lucky. Everytime I tried to observe it before, I just saw an indistinguishible faint blob that appeared only with averted vision. The sky quality that night was unusual for where I observe and with M33 being at the zenith at that time of the night, I decided to tackle it.

Last session however, the contrast that the skies delivered was exceptional. M33 appeared waaaay larger than ever before, filling the exact patch of sky - among the typical star pattern that surrounds it - as it does in photographs. With averted vision, I was even able to see hints of two main spilar arms, so I skeched it. At home, after comparing the sketch to the actual photograph of M33, I found that I got them right, albeit one was only sligtly off. Overall, surprising results I reckon, keeping in mind that my scope is only 4.5" toy newtonian :)

M33 is a DSO with low sirface brightness, so it seems that for successful observation of M33, all you need really are pitch-black skies. Furthermore, M33 should be preferable at the zenith :(

Excellent report! Well done spotting M33 like that!

Don't call it luck, call it skill :p. Remember that your 4.5" Newtonian is probably leagues ahead of the 4" scope Charles Messier used (though he did have darker skies, I bet). Any chance of you posting the sketch?

Cheers

Michael

Excellent report! Well done spotting M33 like that! Any chance of you posting the sketch?

Actually, I simply posted my tips regarding M33, it was not ment to be a report. :(

Anyway, I tried and dug up the actual sketch I made. Did a bit of fiddling with it electronically and below is the result. It is drawn on a piece of copy paper with god knows what pencil and then converted into a negative. The template is 6 cms in diameter. Magnification 57x, aFOV 70°, 4.5" scope. I think I managed to spot what seems to be the two main spiral arms within the galaxy's brighter core.

I have to say I am not much of a "sketcher" - the only reason I sketch what I see is to check that I am not imagining things. When compared to various other sketches I see around here, I actually feel a bit embarrassed by mine :)

post-27855-133877681576_thumb.jpg

Good to see a sketch at the eyepiece - the conditions were not perfect and all I could make out was the central area from your sketch. But a sketch is a good idea to confirm you are in the right area - as stated it's in like a mini square of pegasus!

andrew

It may be bright, but that is integrated brightness, i.e., how bright it would appear if all the light were concentrated in a single point. Because it is an extended source, the surface brightness is more important. Because the source is VERY extended in the case of M33, it is one of the harder galaxies to get.

Yes, I always realised it would be dimmer than the misleading 7th magnitude that is sometimes quoted.

Finally, however, I have cracked it! Saw the ghostliest of glows in between the diamond of mag. 8 and 9 stars at 1:30 am Saturday but was not totally convinced.

Tried again just before midnight Sunday and found that same dull glow about a quarter of the area of the diamond of stars which outline the area.

The semi-rural skies here are moderately dark here (mag 5.2 - 5.5 at zenith). I think I need something a bit clearer to truly appreciate it though.

Finally!! After months of searching for M33 in my backyard with no success.....off to the peak Star Party...dark sky....BINGO!!! :)...

It was the first target I searched for, located very easily, and rewarded with a lovely view!! It's Biggg!!!!

Very happy now!!...except I'm now home with my 'not so dark' skies!:(

Vicky.

Found it myself for the first time last night - just before bed had ten minutes outside with my cheapo 13x70 binos. Found Triangulum - searched around where M33 should be and Bingo! there it was - right overhead - faint but definitely there. Will it be any better in my 10" Dob?

Well done! Do you think that now you saw it well , you might have also observed it at home as a faint glow?

I think so Andrew...probably been looking at it for weeks, but not really 'seeing' it! But now I know what to expect I'll be looking for it again!!:)

Cheers,

Vicky.

Finally!! After months of searching for M33 in my backyard with no success.....off to the peak Star Party...dark sky....BINGO!!! :(...

Vicky.

Congratulations Vicky, I know you've been hunting this for a while..

Now you've seen it you'll find it easy from nearly any sky.:)

Regards Steve

Archived