Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First telescope

Hi everybody, I am new here. I would like to get some advice on my first telescope that I am going to buy very soon to start my astro-adventure. What I chose so far is Celestron Omni XLT 120 Refractor, with a price tag I can afford. The telescope would be used in city conditions, also transported outside to see more. I would like to be able to observe and take some amateurs astrophoto (nikon slr) of following objects: moon and planets by also some bright DS objects as Double Cluster in Perseus, M81 and M82 galaxy group, The Leo Triplet of Galaxies, Ring Nebula M57 and M27, M13 Hercules and some Milky Way Clusters. I realise that DS visual observation will not by so clear as with F5 big aperture reflectors, but I will still see something pretty cool will not I? If what I chose is not a best idea, I would appreciate any suggestions you have. The bugedt is up to 450 GBP. Thanks, Lukasz

The main thing is you need to choose whether you want to focus on visual observing or astro-photography. You also need to make sure that any extras you may need for AP are included in your budget, should you decide to focus on that. The AP gurus will hopefully chip in and tell you if the mount will handle the weight of that scope and the camera.

regarding imaging - for planetary and lunar imaging you need to get yourself a cheap spc900 webcam ~£20 online. This allows you to record an avi video file, which you then use with a stacking program such as registax - this stacks each frame and gives you a final image with better resolution.

for dso imaging you need an equatorial mount which at the very minimum you will need to polar align and have motors to track. this will allow exposures at the very maximum of ~30s, tho ive always had more luck piggybacking the dslr and using a widefield lens, rather than actually attaching the dslr to the scope. many people say heq5 mount is minimum but you may get away with the cheaper eq5 for the above.

for longer exposures you really need a guide camera + guidescope for your telescope. this requires a minimum of a heq5 mount. guide cam + guidescope costs ~£200+

hope this helps.

*EDIT* personally id browse www.astrobuysell.co.uk for second hand 200mm reflectors. at least this gives you a good viewing AND imaging scope, allowing leeway either side :) if you spot a heq5 going cheap then grab it too :(

Archived