SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

I posted this in the "Heads Up" forum also.

Telescope cover... £4.99 at LiDL

Actually designated a Barbecue Cover, its about 28" in diameter and 36" long, with a drawstring at the bottom. Might be just right for some scopes when the clouds turn nasty.

Here's a picture of the cover.

Edit: If you cant find one, I've got a couple extras.

post-34570-133877774155_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting one this Pete- I bought a 1mw lazer pointer from E Bay for about £8 and another 5mw lazer from Amazon for @ £6

The 1mw lazer is much brighter than the 5mw one

be interesting to see what you think when yours arrives.

Recently got hold of a Sky Atlas 2000.0 deluxe version ! Won it bidding on eBay for £26! In mint condition with the accessory papers and clear overlay coordinate grids.

As its a bit big when you open out the charts Ive been taking photos of the relevant sections with my phone and then using that as my guide.

I've had my scope about 9 months now and other than my moon filter I have been holding off from making other purchases until I knew for sure what I wanted/needed.

Anyway, I made my move this week... I ordered the Baader Sky Surfer RDF, SW laser collimator, Bob's Knobs collimation thumb screw kits for my primary and secondary mirrors, red LED torch, some flocking material, SW Panaview 26mm ep, Celestron X-cel LX 18, 12 & 7mm ep's.

I would have got the 32mm Panaview but they were on back order from everywhere (thanks for the heads-up Steve) but the 26mm will be more than capable...

All I'm looking for now is an aluminium flight case and I think I will probably be sorted until I upgrade my scope in a few years...

Hopefully see you all on the next meet

Clear skies

Even in the daylight Steve,you can see that the green light is a lot brighter than the red one i had.I'm currently browsing the net for a 32 mm eyepiece,most places out of stock:(

I told Clayton Pete - I had the panaview on order from FLO for 4 months then got fed up waiting and went for a 31mm Baader Asp. FLO were supposed to be having stock in end of Apr- not sure if its still available - seems like all astronomical equipment is in short supply at the moment. I really like my 31mm 2" eye piece though - the 1.25" E/Ps look really small and take getting used to again after you've had the 2 Inch one in for a while so worty persevering fpor the deep sky wide angle stuff.

I've had my scope about 9 months now and other than my moon filter I have been holding off from making other purchases until I knew for sure what I wanted/needed.

Anyway, I made my move this week... I ordered the Baader Sky Surfer RDF, SW laser collimator, Bob's Knobs collimation thumb screw kits for my primary and secondary mirrors, red LED torch, some flocking material, SW Panaview 26mm ep, Celestron X-cel LX 18, 12 & 7mm ep's.

I would have got the 32mm Panaview but they were on back order from everywhere (thanks for the heads-up Steve) but the 26mm will be more than capable...

All I'm looking for now is an aluminium flight case and I think I will probably be sorted until I upgrade my scope in a few years...

Hopefully see you all on the next meet

Clear skies

be interested to find out how you get on with the bobs knobs stuff Clayton - that and possibly flocking will be the last two things I do with this scope- like you say very happy with it at the moment but aperture fever will eventually win out lol

Do you have to take the mirrors out to do this upgrade or is it a straight one out one in operation? And dave now we want to know whats number one and two in the charts lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Don't have to remove the mirrors Steve. When I did it I just replaced one screw at a time to ensure the mirrors stayed in their correct position and then I collimated afterwards which is dead easy using the knobs.

Lol, new focuser was second best and motor drive is the top one. When I get my new dob a tracking platform will be the first addition :-)

Just had a 1mW mg Green Beam laser pointer, £4.39 delivered free from Amazon

Haven't tried it out just yet.

Gordon

Really? I bought a laser pointer that was 5mW and had "teachers astronomy" in it's name.

Unfortunately It's coming in from Japan so I have to wait a long time. :)

I was looking on Bobs Knobs website Pete and for the primary mirror they were about $24 and the secondary mirror screws were only slightly cheaper - probably @ £35 for both sets- big difference beteween £8 and £35 - let me know how you get on before go wasting money I haven't got lol

Clayton,do you still have those adjustable legs available for the dob?

Pete, I will bring them to the next meet

Steve, Pete, I looked into buying thumb screws from else where and it was easy to source the secondary screws but a nightmare to source the primary screws because they need to have an odd thread length and head size to fit.

I took the lazy approch and spent £30 to get them from bobs knobs.

Best of luck though

I posted this in the "Heads Up" forum also.

Telescope cover... £4.99 at LiDL

Actually designated a Barbecue Cover, its about 28" in diameter and 36" long, with a drawstring at the bottom. Might be just right for some scopes when the clouds turn nasty.

good call mike! managed to pick up 2 in the splott store yesterday evening. there were still a few more there, so if they've all gone by now, i didn't take them all :(

Archived