SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little book, Collins gem stars just came today looks really good as well

These are brilliant! I had to buy a replacement as mine fell apart (after years of repeated use in all sorts of conditions and places!). A proper pocket book (even for ladies' pockets!!)

Helen

Another book arrived on the door mat today - Stephen Tonkins Binocular Astronomy. I have a few pairs of binoculars already as I've been a long time bird watcher aswel but now thinking of getting something a little more specialized. At the moment not sure whether to go for 20 / 25 x70/80s or hold out for 100mm Bins - hence the book. Read first expensive mistake hopefully avoided - anyone want to chip in with some bin recommendations in the meantime please feel free.

Hi Steve,

I thought about Binoculars for Astronomy. For all practical purpous with a "large" Binocular, I'd have to get and use a tripod, so I figured that into the cost. Then there was the ergonomic factor, straining my neck as viewing is a straight through proposition, and would be very uncomfortable at most angles. Not so with the 100mm BIG Binoculars like the Garetts or Oberworks with the 45* eyepieces.

Then I thought about a Binoviewer. :smiley:

Edit: I'll bring mine up to the next meet, you can try it out in your scope to see what you think; food for thought.

Hi Steve,

I thought about Binoculars for Astronomy. For all practical purpous with a "large" Binocular, I'd have to get and use a tripod, so I figured that into the cost. Then there was the ergonomic factor, straining my neck as viewing is a straight through proposition, and would be very uncomfortable at most angles. Not so with the 100mm BIG Binoculars like the Garetts or Oberworks with the 45* eyepieces.

Then I thought about a Binoviewer. :smiley:

Edit: I'll bring mine up to the next meet, you can try it out in your scope to see what you think; food for thought.

excellent thanks mike, just at the planning stage at the moment but the two requisites are portability and must offer something over and above the pairs I already have. Wondering actually if the 100mm diameter lens might be just as much hassle to set up as the scope.

Steve,

Oberwerk has a "new" 70mm Astronomical binocular which uses 1.25" eyepieces. Its roughly one / third the weight and price of their 100mm 45* model.

www.oberwerk.com

( click on product overview )

Thanks Mike- $800 still a bit out of my price range for bins I basically want to take into the back yard at short notice and sometimes leave in the boot of the car when we go to West Wales, but appreciate the heads up as always.

What I'm thinking of is something around the £200 perhaps I can put on a monopod - perhaps it doesn't exist - I'm sure it won't exist as a quality optic bit of kit but I'm just thinking accesory to the amin scope until I can afford the light bucket.

Aldi in Ponty and elsewhere have a good selection of ski style cold weather kit for sale today.

Worth a look for Blaenavon etc.

Bob.

The ski trousers Lidl had for sale were bright lime green - hopefully these are a bit more - less flamboyant shall we say. But ski trousres are a brilliant accesory for the cold evenings up in Blaenavon - well worth a few quid - thanks for the heads up Bob

Purchased a time & work saver from one of our members, here in the classifieds. Its a filter wheel which holds up to five 1.25" filters. Will make life easier and give me more time to talk and drink coffee, instead of fiddling with gear. I've got to say its very well made indeed. :cool:

Edit: By the way, thanks for the heads up Bob, my Wife and I stopped by Aldi & Lidl, and I got a pair of the lightweight insulated snow boots, for the inevitable freezing observing nights ahead. Cheers.

post-21902-0-76164500-1354568926_thumb.j

Just ordered one of those zippo hand warmers, was outside on Wednesday night for 5 hours, when I came in it was minus 2 but I can honestly say the only part of me that was cold was my hands so hopefully this completes my cold weather gear.

Just got an EQ6AZGT :grin: Looking forward to Alt Az viewing again - and its a bit easier to get in the car for trips/star parties than the 12 inch Dob! From a quick run inside its much quieter than the normal EQ6!

Helen

Archived