Narrowband

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be very interested in your findings with the quark helen,im considering buying one to use in a ed80 for visual work.

Ive just bought a 6" f8 Orion Optics vxl newtonian with 1/12 pv optics and a smaller secondary mirror ( optimised for planetary work ).I will be Using it with my baader maxbright binoviewers for planetary and double star observing .

Well after 3 years of umming and aahing have finally invested in a scope. Nothing exciting or groundbraking but it ticks all the boxes for me. Have always been a sucker for planets rather than dso's and spend at least 70% of the time i am out with the binoculars are spent looking at the moon and jupiter when its in view. Decided on the Skywatcher heritage 90 vituoso as it's ideal for what i want at the moment (small size, long focal length etc.) and the kicker is found one for sale by a fellow member on here. For the last 3 years i have been close to getting a Heritage 130 or a 90mm refractor but something else would always come up that stopped me from hitting that checkout button. Buying it this time of year has the advantage of buying one or 2 'upgraded' (tmb planetary or similar) eyepieces ready for when the nights start to get longer. Will also have something to bring along to any future observing sessions if it would be of benefit :)

I had a lucky find while my Wife & I were visiting Brecon today, a very old leather-bound Astronomy book in fine condition.   :smile:

" The Story Of The Heavens "  by  Sir Robert S. Ball  ( 1901 edition )

He also wrote " Starland "  &  "The Story Of The Sun ".

post-21902-0-31547300-1436658241.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spotted these today at " Pound Stretcher " .......  Solar powered  RED LIGHT strings.  £4.99

I can think of a few ways to rig these, such as in an observatory, under the awning of a touring caravan, or on the roof liner inside our van as examples.  :smiley:

post-21902-0-57407500-1438971911.jpg

post-21902-0-55543300-1438971929.jpg

post-21902-0-00098200-1438971941.jpg

Yeah, worth a punt. A couple of years ago I bought a smaller (20 red light) string at the pound shop which ran off of two AA batteries. Its still working well.

Edit:  If I find there are too many lights for my need, I'll just cut off what I don't need; it worked on the string from the pound shop.

IIRC Daz had something like these at SGL10.. ran for  a few hours but not  that long... definitely worth a punt for that money :)

I think I remember someone had these at SGL10, looked like a runway into their tent. Don't know how it was though.

Picked up a QHY5L-ii Mono camera off Astro B&S this week to use with an OAG I picked up from FLO a short time ago. I'm hoping these will help take my (so far) very basic imagining skills to the next level when the astro season starts up again. That's the plan anyway...

Hi guys just joined, my names darren from aberdare. the gear I use are large celestron binos, love them by the way, just purchased a panaview 38 mm, now looking for a small portable refractor to go with it and some ez finders for the binos, then gonna start comet hunting prob down rhossilli area, best dark site I've been to thanks.

Hi guys, my latest and only buys are celestron 15x70 binos and 38 mm panaview eyepiece, now looking at bigger binos, a hefty tripod , a 2 inch diagonal and a refractor and finders.thanks, darren

• 2 weeks later...

Can now power my SW Mak 127 by battery, making it really portable.

From FLO, a Tracer LiPol 12v 14Ah power pack and from Astronomiser (as recommended by FLO), a really good quality power supply cable delivered today... All I need now are cloudless nights and getting used to the two star alignment process, after countless years of aligning to North using a compass, etc...

Len

• 4 months later...

My Niece came by with a set of constellation coasters yesterday, and brought me another gift today; a Lunar phase faced watch.:smile:

I must have done something good to deserve these. :icon_scratch:   

Edit: Notice anything unusual about the watch ?

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived