Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas box, and bought a Baader Hyperion Mark III Zoom 8 - 24mm 1.25"/2" Eyepiece.

I originally choose the Vixen Zoom 8 - 24mm, but after taking to those at SWG SP 3 who know about these things, I went for the Baader.

I couldn't quite stretch to the matching Barlowlens at this time, if I get on ok with zoom I'll buy one later.

As an infrequent observer I thought this lens would be ok as an all rounder, we'll see.   :smiley:

post-7131-0-04542100-1417955336_thumb.jppost-7131-0-97458400-1417955355_thumb.jp

I get on we'll with mine Tony. If nothing else its very useful when setting up and getting everything aligned. Had some excellent views of Jupiter and Saturn through it as well as some of the brighter DSO's. I've got the Barlow as well which you're welcome to try out next time at Blaenavon. Be great to try and double them up in the Binoviewers too.

James

Hmm, guess who didn't research the eye relief of the shorter TV plossls properly? Me, that's who. To their credit, Widescreen-centre were perfectly happy to let me return them for an upgrade to a Delos 14mm, so now I'm looking forward to that baby. Uranometria arrived from scsastro today and it looks and feels just lovely. Also an eyepiece case and the orion 9x50 raci finder turned up today. When's Christmas again?

£1000 of work on the Disco needed before crimbo no more  astro or togging toys for me this crimbo...

AstroJoe - you couldn't have been too far out by the looks of things... I haven't used mine for a few years so I'm a bit rusty but isn't there a wedge align routine in the handset firmware?  Page 30 of the user manual looks familiar

Peter...

£1000 of work on the Disco needed before crimbo no more astro or togging toys for me this crimbo...

AstroJoe - you couldn't have been too far out by the looks of things... I haven't used mine for a few years so I'm a bit rusty but isn't there a wedge align routine in the handset firmware? Page 30 of the user manual looks familiar

Peter...

Hi Peter. I did a quick eq align then a 2 star align, switched the mount and and off then did another eq align which is what the manual suggests. I rushed it a bit which is why I don't think I was spot on but I was happy with the result for a first attempt. Looks like I may get a chance to have another go tomorrow or Saturday if the forecast is accurate.

James

I get on we'll with mine Tony. If nothing else its very useful when setting up and getting everything aligned. Had some excellent views of Jupiter and Saturn through it as well as some of the brighter DSO's. I've got the Barlow as well which you're welcome to try out next time at Blaenavon. Be great to try and double them up in the Binoviewers too.

James

Hi James, I just picked up a Hyperion Barlowlens from the forum's classifieds section. I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

That should make for interesting viewing, using both the zooms and barlows in the binoviewers. Views should pop like 3D. :cool:

Long Service, Front prop, Rear drop link, front hub assembly , front brake pads, new battery, Bump stops, and a Brake bulb in a rear light cluster... (to the tune of 12 days of Christmas)

Apparently after that lot -  there's nothing else showing up (at the moment)  that will stop it going through a  Pre-SGLX March MOT all being well...

Peter...

That's part of owning a disco :( mines had new discs pads hub seal. New head bulbs. Side bubs. Needs the boot welded next. Painting the front bumper (gray to black so it's standard) bull bars again. New tyres (as has a flat last weekend) oh and rebending the front bumper as I crashed into the back of a brand new van as she emergancy braked for a stupid animal. :( at least iv stopped the oil leak :) just got a diesel leak now but that's an easy fix :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

I've had my 300 series nearly 18yrs, and this year failed it's first MOT. I had to get a new head lamp. Because the old gal had given me many years trouble free motoring, I bought her the pair. Well....it would be rude not to. :grin:

Hi James, I just picked up a Hyperion Barlowlens from the forum's classifieds section. I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

That should make for interesting viewing, using both the zooms and barlows in the binoviewers. Views should pop like 3D. :cool:

Not sure if that would even Tony work but I'm certainly up for giving it a go!!! Lol

had a good go on the TV Delos 14mm in the 10" on Monday. *Boy* was it cold, but M80 and M81 were especially pleasing, and of course M42 was fabulous. Also had a good go at Jupiter: moons a-plenty and lovely clear bands on the planet despite a pretty low altitude and  flickering neighbours' christmas lights. Very pleased with the eyepiece :) 

After my very positive experience with the TV 33mm plossl, and along with recommendations for the 25mm above, I received a TV 25mm plossl yesterday (again from the Widescreen-centre - best price for Tele Vues I've found in the UK. But their Pentax prices are *nuts*). The weather's looking unfriendly for any first light any time soon (naturally), but looking forward to testing that out.

Also got O'Meara's Herschel 400 book on its way, planning to work through that alongside the Night Sky Observer's guide constellation-by-constellation. I have Andromeda's targets all marked out in with sticky markers in Uranometria, and I'm looking forward to kicking off those projects as soon as the weather breaks.

I'm using the very powerful Astroplanner program (mac & windows) for planning. I was a user of v1 several years ago, and I upgraded to v2 when I recently got back into observing - what do you guys use for planning sessions?

I picked up a cracking little case at Lidls today to use as an eyepiece case.

The image on their web page don't do it justice. I was a little sceptical when I saw the advert so decided to take a peek.

The external dimensions are 40cm x 24cm x 10cm. It's appears well made and is sturdy with two lockable latches, better than I expected. I have ordered some pick cube foam to fill it for £5.

I think I'll pick up another case tomorrow, I'm sure my eyepiece collection will increase in the future. :rolleyes:

post-7131-0-60580700-1419015122.jpg

After a frustrating week or so playing around with Deep Sky Stacker i think I'm finally starting to get somewhere with this! Ideal conditions Friday night and I managed to spend a coupe of hours with the CPC1100 on the new HD Wedge with my DSLR - stacked in DSS and prossesed (a bit) in Digital Photo Professional which came free with the Canon D600.

post-21020-0-80592400-1419166806_thumb.j

19 x 30 second lights

19 x 30 second darks

30 x bias

(I actually know what these mean now!!)

I won't embarass myself by posting the other attempts!! :grin:

James

Archived