Already have good EP's to account for the increased focal length: yes

Focuser always in a sensible place for easy observing: yes

Very stable platform for best views: yes

Currently own large Newtonian so familiar with collimation: yes

No brainer really...Big Dob wins :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there is a little doubt on the accuracy of the GOTO on the SW Dobs, but I first pondered the idea a few weeks ago and read this article by Alan Dyer. It seems to be a good review but he is using the 12.5" and not the 16".

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtnews/skynews-skywatcherreview-web.pdf

The pointing accuracy of the 16" is very good as is the tracking (I have, as I said, observed alongside another forum member with this exact scope)

The 16" Goto is a great tool.

As I said this particular 16" is heavy, much more so than mine. Mine is positively lightweight in comparison.

But if you can wheel it about you will be fine.

In fact have you ordered it yet......why not?:)

Regards Steve

I can appreciate the dilemma you have, having experienced the magical views from Kellings dark skies via Linton Guise's 20" Obsession. I always knew aperture ruled the dark night skies, but that experience cemented it.

You really didn't need a poll for others to make your mind up, if you analyse the whys and wherefores enough, you will decide yourself.

As for parting with your EQ6, it is necessary if you want the big lump of glass, but while you are enjoying the delights the big guy will bring you, you can also be saving some brass to get another EQ6.

"Simples".

Enjoy the 16", when you are marvelling at the sight of the veil nebula, give youself a pat on the back for making the right choice :).

Ron.

Hmm, I did not realise that such a simple light hearted question could arouse such aggression.

If you think I am wasting your time do not answer OK!

Please don't be offended, I wasn't trying to be aggressive and I don't answer posts if I think it's a waste of time. That's why I took the time to give a couple of opinions. What you took to be aggression was just me saying "what's holding you back?" Other posters realised what I meant and have voiced similar views; I apologise if you took my comment the wrong way.

Please don't be offended, I wasn't trying to be aggressive and I don't answer posts if I think it's a waste of time. That's why I took the time to give a couple of opinions. What you took to be aggression was just me saying "what's holding you back?" Other posters realised what I meant and have voiced similar views; I apologise if you took my comment the wrong way.

I know you did not mean to be, It was me being defensive, it took a moderator and a slap around the head from my wife to realise it. Just over tiered, too many hours under the stars and not under the blankets.

I suppose it is that I am not sure about the Dob. I have thought of a compromise which means I can keep the EQ6, and that is to maybe get a 12" to replace the 10. This may keep some of the options open others have mentioned and give me that bit more aperture I am after?

No worries :)

Don't replace the 10" with a 12". There's hardly any difference and you'll get a narrower field. People obsess a lot about little increases in aperture. In reality it goes something like ~6" > 10"/12" > 16"/18" > 28"

I have thought of a compromise which means I can keep the EQ6, and that is to maybe get a 12" to replace the 10. This may keep some of the options open others have mentioned and give me that bit more aperture I am after?

I bought my NEQ6 with a 12" Newt. Works fine. You'll probably need an extension tube for the counterweight shaft (NEQ6 comes with one) and more weights as mine takes four of the 5kg weights to balance it. The only other thing you may occasionally need is a ladder to get to the eyepiece. :)

Hope this helps

Mark

I bought my NEQ6 with a 12" Newt. Works fine. You'll probably need an extension tube for the counterweight shaft (NEQ6 comes with one) and more weights as mine takes four of the 5kg weights to balance it. The only other thing you may occasionally need is a ladder to get to the eyepiece. :)

Hope this helps

Mark

I have a DIY rotation ring on my 10", so I would do the same for a 12" if I got one to bring the EP to a comfortable level. I have to use the extension bar with the 10" because it only came with 2 counterweights.

I know a lot of people seem to think there is not much difference between a 10 and 12" but I spent a comparison night with my Uncle with my 10" and his 12 and his 16" fork mounted and the difference on very dim DOSs was quite stark between the 10" and 12" an example was M101, I have never really seen any more than a smudge in my 10", but it was much more than that in the 12" and the field FOV loss was fairly minimal really.

To a degree I have to agree. There is a noticeable difference on Jupiter between the 8" & 10" Newts I have. Why I don't agree completely is because if you have the opportunity to go a lot larger you should go as large as you practically can. While I love my EQ6 if it was a toss up between the mount or a light bucket allowing me to see the dust lanes through faint and fuzzes it would be a no brainier. The only reason why I went 8" to 10" was because one is a permanent set up under LP and the other has to travel 30 miles in a reasonable small car to be sat under dark skies. If I lived under dark skies I feel I would only need a large dob. If you have a roll off you wouldn't even need a grab and go for between clouds.

I know you're saying that tongue-in-cheek, but going as large as possible without regard for anything else is definitely unwise. Very big scopes (even permanently mounted ones) have logistical issues, as well as narrow FOV issues. In addition, you need to put some thought into who is going to build it for you. There are guys out there who've spent well over 10 grand on massive scope and been pretty disappointed with what the optician has produced...

You see the problem is, the views I had last night go and complicate things all over again. I had the best views of Jupiter I have had in 9 years last night, and all the DSOs I looked at were spanking, which makes me think, I am happy with what I have got and let's face it, some people would give their right arm to have a 10" on an EQ6 Pro.

I feel I may have fallen pray to the modern desire to have more and what I have is never enough, grasping for something always beyond reach no matter what I get.

I agree with your general concept Simon and I have reached that point with my 16" dob. I have a mate who has a 22" f5 and as wonderful as this is, it is completely impractical for me. I have no obs and I hate standing on ladders to observe.

with the 16" I can handle it alone, stand on my feet at all times (or sit of course) and enjoy decent views of DSOs even in my light polluted back yard. we all have a point where we are actually content and maybe with your skies, 10" is more than adequate?

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!!!

I'd love one of those! Was lucky enough to look through a 12" non goto recently, by my reckoning 16" is nearly double mirror area, gotta be breathtaking.

Archived