Narrowband

EQ to Dob

sbooder

Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO?

OK here is the thing, as purely visual observer who’s main love is DSOs and is suffering a little…OK a lot from aperture fever, do I forsake my SW 250P DS on the NEQ6 Pro for the Skywatcher Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO Dob?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far a unanimous Yes. I think I am fairly sure I will but I do love my EQ6 but I can not afford one without selling the other.

That is the big issue imo, once you have a good mount you have options, loosing that is a difficult decision.

Hi

I have neither the EQ6 or one of the Synscan dobs, but I have done a lot of reading about them :)

You might want to bear in mind that the AZ Synscan is not as accurate as the EQ Synscan and you will be moving to a FL of 1800mm from 1200mm so will have a narrower field of view than your existing scope.

In the end aperture is king for DSOs - so long as you can find them and have dark enough skies to benefit from the aperture.

Clear skies

Paul

I've said "Yes" because you say you are purely visual and in this case aperture is what you need. But if ever you think you may need polar alignment (eg when a big dob becomes too much to handle, or imaging) then you'll really feel the loss of the EQ6 :)

What about a non-goto dob?

Never understood the logic behind a goto dob. The whole point imho of a dob is that it's quick and easy. Complicating it with a computer? Nah.

I've got a 250px flextube from before they went all goto. It's great for a quick session. I've also got a 200 Newt that I put on a HEQ5 with EQ mod if I feel like being all techy about. Sure it takes longer to set up but then it's quite easy from there, and things actually stay in view!

Sorry this isn't helping.

Would hate to get rid of a the EQ mount though. That's a useful bit of kit and you never know what you might want to get up to.

So I'd say "both"

What about a non-goto dob?

Never understood the logic behind a goto dob. The whole point imho of a dob is that it's quick and easy. Complicating it with a computer? Nah.

I've got a 250px flextube from before they went all goto. It's great for a quick session. I've also got a 200 Newt that I put on a HEQ5 with EQ mod if I feel like being all techy about. Sure it takes longer to set up but then it's quite easy from there, and things actually stay in view!

Sorry this isn't helping.

Would hate to get rid of a the EQ mount though. That's a useful bit of kit and you never know what you might want to get up to.

So I'd say "both"

What is not easy about a Dob that finds the objects for you rather than hunting around?

You ideally need to include other variables in the question. Do you observe from a light polluted back garden or a dark site ?? Where is the scope stored ? How big is your car ? Have you seen a 400mm GOTO dob in person ? I hear it takes 2 people to move one ? How often do you get out to observe as a 400mm mirror will take a good 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to cool even with fans. Are your EP's up to the task of such a large fast mirror ?

No doubt aperture is king but it's not all about aperture. You could have a 50" scope that shows you all your heart desires but if you never use it because it's such an ordeal setting it up you will be wishing you'd stuck with the smaller scope. Just MO and I'm sure others may disagree.

I can comment only on the visual side of things but I prefer manual dobs and the larger the aperture the better. I have a 16" f4 dob and it's easily moved solo with a sack truck from the front of my house, through the house and our through patio doors, down a step and into the garden.

It is no doubt better after cooling but to be honest you can use it at low power almost immediately.

If you can have it outside in a shed and on casters then even better and it's almost grab and go.

I'll find out how hefty it is to lift soon when taking it to PSP!

Go for the big dob.

With the Dob you have mentioned. Can you use it/store it easily?

Make no mistake under normal circumstances THIS SCOPE IS NOT PORTABLE.

I often observe with another forum member that owns one. He has a 3.5 Ton van with a tail lift and that is about the only way to transport a huge heavy lump like this.

Another 16" Dob I would recommend straight away but portability with this one is seriously limited.

So I will make no recommendation until I know your storage/transport arrangements.

Regards Steve

I have been around a 16" a lot and I can lift it but I would anyhow house it in a slide off shed and leave the scope in as a permanent set-up. I will only view from home which is a dark sky site and I have the EPs to cope, so all of that is covered.

Given where you're viewing from, I'd go for the 16". No question. I don't understand why you're asking here, though: you say you've been around 16" scopes a lot. What are you hoping us to tell you that you haven't already learned from experience?

Just keep in mind that you'll have a more narrow field of view so a smaller scope of some sort is still a good idea. Even a 6" Dob would be very nice. A 20" and a 16" aren't so different. It's about the same change in light-gathering as going from a 10" to a 12".

Given where you're viewing from, I'd go for the 16". No question. I don't understand why you're asking here, though: you say you've been around 16" scopes a lot. What are you hoping us to tell you that you haven't already learned from experience?

Ditto. Why are you wasting valuable time asking questions. Get completing checkout on the light bucket and get observing man :)

Just keep in mind that you'll have a more narrow field of view so a smaller scope of some sort is still a good idea. Even a 6" Dob would be very nice. A 20" and a 16" aren't so different. It's about the same change in light-gathering as going from a 10" to a 12".

Hmm, I did not realise that such a simple light hearted question could arouse such aggression.

If you think I am wasting your time do not answer OK!

Archived