Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Muzz

Best Celestron Scope for Astrophotography and all round use.

Hi all,

I am after a Celestron scope (Good previous experince of Hinds and the 10% plus the finance option) prob as an all rounder but would like to hook up my 350D DSLR.

Money wise prob between £1000 - £1500 max.

Weight not really an issue aslong as it comes in parts my nearest dark sky location is a 3 mile car journey so if I could pack it up that would be great.

I understand a EQ mount is good for imaging and would like to have some form of goto.

Any help would be great and thanks for your time :D

Murray

RULE 1 DO NOT!!..... I REPEAT.....DO NOT, buy a fork mount if you want to do astro-photography.

RULE 2 get a telescope with a lower focal ratio... F6 to F7.5.. Try to steer away from f9 or higher

RULE 3 Spend as much as you can afford on the MOUNT German equatorial is best for astro-photography.

Go to is great, convenient etc, but if you know your sky it's not totally necessary.

I am an expert because I spent up big on go to with a Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS on a fork and you will find that a camera will bring out the worst in this setup.

Don't be tempted and deceived by flash shiny pretty telescopes! Read the reviews, understand them, and buy what you need for what you want to achieve. forget the glitter and glamor.

Heavy duty and reliable do not always look pretty...just look at my rude head!

Baz.

Murray

The C8 SCT always gets a good press. On an equatorial mount (or a fork mount with an equatorial wedge) the C8 is great for astro imaging. In standard F 10 mode it's good for the moon & planets. With the optional F 6.3 focal reducer it's good for extended DSO's.

I've just bought a fork mount NexStar GPS 8 from David Hinds for just over £1,000 (on special offer at the moment). Add the equatorial wedge and the focal reducer and you've got a suitable set up within your budget.

The bonus is it has an excellent Go To (not to be dismissed, as it helps you find faint DSO's in a hurry !)

MD

Given your budget I would purchase an ED80/EQ6.

I appreciate that this is not a Celestron setup though. Your only choice of mount is the CG5, this mount has very high PE for photograhpy and the next mext mount up the CGE is out of your budget range. Do you REALLY need to buy Celestron?

Gordon, you mention that the CG5 has high PE. Is that Periodic Error?

Sorry for derailing the thread, but I had to ask!

Yes, PE = Periodic Error. It's guidable but not ideal. The EQ6 is much more acurate but is much more expensive (obviously!)

Depends on budget of course, but given the choice the EQ6 or HEQ5 is a better option for astrophotography. Thats not to say you CAN'T use the CG5 for photography, just that it's likely to be frustrating getting tight stars

As Celestron & Skywatcher & probably all the Chinese scopes are all made in the same factory, why are people saying "why Celestron?"

I keep hearing opinions that the Skywatcher mounts are superior to the Celestron ones, mind you. :D

Well there's plenty of other brands of scope out there, why limit yourself to one??

As Celestron & Skywatcher & probably all the Chinese scopes are all made in the same factory, why are people saying "why Celestron?"

I keep hearing opinions that the Skywatcher mounts are superior to the Celestron ones, mind you. :D

The Celestron CG-4 and CG-5 are 'enhanced' versions of the Skywatcher EQ3-2 and EQ5 (beefier tripods and worm bearings on both axis).

However, Celestron do not have a competitor to Skywatcher's HEQ5 and EQ6, which are market-leaders at their price.

Skywatcher mounts are not superior to Celestron mounts as they hit different targets. They sort of intermesh. They go something like this:

EQ3/2 = CG4

EQ5 = CG5

..... = CG5-GT

HEQ5 Pro.........

EQ6 Pro.......

...... = CGE

Or something like that. Note that the CG5-GT is £440 and the HEQ5 Pro is £780, nearly twice as much. Plus as Steve says the Celestron versions tend to be better than the Skywatcher versions of the same ilk

The SCT's used to be made in the USA - I know the new 6 inch is chinese but I'm not sure if the production of their other SCT's has moved there yet.

Celestron have always sold rebranded refractors and Newts - they used to use Vixen in Japan but have now shifted to using Synta in China.

So if you are interested in a Celestron refractor or newt it's worth comparing the Skywatcher (also Synta) equivilent models - they are often better value.

Orion (USA) offer rebranded versions of the HEQ5 and EQ6 but again I think they are a little more expensive thant the Skywatcher equivilents.

John