Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Quatermass

How to make a Bahtinov Mask

I just made one a week ago,

but am still waiting to give it a good test,

Do you have to use a higher power eyepiece ? as when I did use it with a 32mm the spikes were so small it was very hard to see them,

JJ..

I use my 25m lens and make sure a choose as bright a star as possible. Take a shot after a rough focus check and refocus till the centre spikes are bang in the middle :-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

I thought these were more for imaging than for use with EP's?

With imaging you need the correct focus for the equipment but for visual you need to focus for your eyes, which aren't always accurate as age is now telling me. :)

Yep dont need one unless your going to image your target really but still fun to make one and see how they work mind you with my eyesite I still use one just to make sure ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

If you are imaging, using a laptop and a Bahtinov, have a search on the web for the "Bahtinov Grabber" program. Very useful for spot on focus measurement.

Edited by MushroomBill

So you can focus easily on a star but what about closer object does it just not work for these planets the moon?

It needs a point source to give the classic X with moving line diffraction pattern... with an extended source it acts more like a multi aperture hartmann .. sometimes with the planets at shortish FL you will be able to use it to focus but your better off using it on a nearby star then slewing back..

Peter...

Yep not much good for planets tend to use my live view and digital zoom for the moon and would use a web cam for the others.