Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Vega

Quickie question...

Just want confirmation really.

I know that you can use your Hand conrtoller as an interface with a laptop to control your mount with planetarium software (via the supplied RJ11 Cable and USB>Serial converter at laptop end).

but...

Am I right in saying you can only use EQMod to control your mount if you use a EQDirect cable. ie you cannot use the hand controller and RJ11 alongside EQMod?

Basically I'm trying to work out what tools are available to me with the hand controller and standard RJ11 interface cable (Without buying additional fancy cables)

Cheers

Matt

Hi there

you are correct in your thinking.

The EQmod direct plugs into the mount where the handset cable would normally go.

I am interested to know why you would want to use both.

graham

I may be confused but I just want the same features available by using just the supplied RJ11 Cable and hand controller. I would have to buy an additional cable for EQDirect mode.

My understanding is that EQMod has a lot more features to hand (custom alignment stars, preventing meridian flip, gamepad control etc).

Reading up a bit more, if you have the handset controller v3.21 or later (which I do) you can use EQAscom via PC Direct mode.

Anyone using this reliably?

Edited by Vega

Yes, you can use EQmod through the handset (in PC Direct mode).

All that the EQdir interface does is remove the need for the handset.

Full functionallity is available either way.

Steve

Great news :)

I notice it says on this page ...

"Please note that PC-Direct mode is an undocumented feature of the SynScan hand controller and reliable operation with EQASCOM cannot be guaranteed. This option is recommended for evaluation only and should not be used where the mount is left unattended" :)

Cheers

Just the usual get out statement to stop people trying to claim if something goes wrong.

I used it with no problems until I went down the direct route.

graham

Cheers Graham, was a little worried as I do the occassional unattended imaging session.

I use EQMOD through the handcontroller with no issues...works OK for me.