Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
BWBlackett

How do I cut foam?

I managed to get a box and some foam to keep my eyepieces safe.

Any tips/ideas on how to make round hole in the foam for the eyepieces?

Thanks,

Brian.

(Untried!) suggestion: Saturate with water. Place in FREEZER.

Use low speed drill bits / hole cutters? Do let me/us know... :D

Cut a cross shape in the foam so that when you push the eyepiece down in the center, it will hold the EP firmly

put the eyepiece on the foam, mark around it, then use a really good surgeons blade to cut the hole. Dont know about soaking the foam but that may be a prime disaster for fungal attraction afterwards.

I used a stanley knife with a fresh/SHARP blade. Have a vacuum cleaner at hand cause this method makes a lot of bits. Dont have your eyepieces anywhere near by and make sure you clean the foam after.

The freeze method seems the easiest/cleanest but I dont know about fungi after

I use a sharp utility knife, and do it outside. The hole only has to be approximately round.

Get your most expensive eyepiece, put in oven till glowing red then carefully using molegrips (be careful not to damaged the EP) push gentley in foam to required depth :D

round? I cut mine in rectangles and laid the e/ps on their beds. I cut the foam with my Swiss Army scalpel knife.

Get your most expensive eyepiece, put in oven till glowing red then carefully using molegrips (be careful not to damaged the EP) push gentley in foam to required depth :p

Thanks Upgrader - that worked really well, unfortunately my eyepiece doesn't work anymore, it melted a bit around the rubber eyeguard and wont fit in my focuser anymore. Anymore useful ideas on where I go from here? :D:lol::D

I used pick-pluck foam from ebay. Worked very well.

Compress it between two pieces of plywood using nuts and bolts at each corner, then cut with a fine toothed hole saw.

Experiment with a smaller piece first.

Ron. :D

My case came with the foam partly pre-cut. All you had to do was pull the foam squares to make the shape you wanted. Is it not possible to buy this pre-cut foam ????

PS If you already have the foam - compress it down , use a very sharp (new) stanley type knife , take small cuts , use paper outlines of all your stuff to get the best arrangement , cut round them.

I put mine flat - a Baader Hyperion is quite tall - no need for round holes.

John