SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do I cut foam?

BWBlackett

I used a stanley knife with a fresh/SHARP blade. Have a vacuum cleaner at hand cause this method makes a lot of bits. Dont have your eyepieces anywhere near by and make sure you clean the foam after.

The freeze method seems the easiest/cleanest but I dont know about fungi after

Get your most expensive eyepiece, put in oven till glowing red then carefully using molegrips (be careful not to damaged the EP) push gentley in foam to required depth :p

Thanks Upgrader - that worked really well, unfortunately my eyepiece doesn't work anymore, it melted a bit around the rubber eyeguard and wont fit in my focuser anymore. Anymore useful ideas on where I go from here? :D:lol::D

My case came with the foam partly pre-cut. All you had to do was pull the foam squares to make the shape you wanted. Is it not possible to buy this pre-cut foam ????

PS If you already have the foam - compress it down , use a very sharp (new) stanley type knife , take small cuts , use paper outlines of all your stuff to get the best arrangement , cut round them.

I put mine flat - a Baader Hyperion is quite tall - no need for round holes.

John

Archived