Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Threaded Inserts

sbooder

Hi All,

I am looking for a particular thing but have no idea what they are called and would like anyone to tell me.

I want to do a mod on the Lat bolts on the EQ6 and need some steel inserts with threaded end caps that will screw to the outside of the insert as shown below.

insert.jpg

Ipresume that the original mount threads are failing hence the need to replace.

This has just come up on the CGEM Yahoo group website. The answer there is to use something called " E Z Coils". It was also suggested to use Helicoils but these dont work as they are designed for blind holes and soon pull out of Az bolt holes.

The only problem is there doesnt seem to be a UK supplier of E z Coils and it may be necessary to get them from the US.

The Yahoo thread is here:

Yahoo! Groups /8781

RonJ

Ipresume that the original mount threads are failing hence the need to replace.

This has just come up on the CGEM Yahoo group website. The answer there is to use something called " E Z Coils". It was also suggested to use Helicoils but these dont work as they are designed for blind holes and soon pull out of Az bolt holes.

The only problem is there doesnt seem to be a UK supplier of E z Coils and it may be necessary to get them from the US.

The Yahoo thread is here:

Yahoo! Groups /8781

RonJ

Hi Ron,

they have not failed yet but I would like to do the mod before they do, prevention being better than cure an all that.

Yes I looked at Helicoils first but thought they would pull out.

The reason I want something with end caps (and I have seen them about on things so I know they exist), is so the pressure when changing the Latitude when the mount is under payload is on the end caps if the if there is any pressure at all. The other alternative is to find something like this below with little moulded pegs that will fit into shallow holes drilled into the mount wall around the existing bolt hole.

insert2.jpg

Sorry I cant help there Simon, but for anyone interested in EZLoks Ive found a UK supplier : SCparts.co.uk

RonJ

They look OK as long as they stay in and do not start to turn when a load is applied. Are the Lat bolts M10 on the EQ6?

Archived