Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Samsung SBC 2000 with Dob

cinpaul1

Hi all,

I am new to video Astronomy. I was told the Samsung SBC 2000

video camera is a good camera at a good price. I have a 9" video

B&W monitor and a 12 and 16" meade lightbridge. I have a T-adapter,

and I think it's called a C- ring adapter to connect camera to t- adapter. I guess the only video I can get would be the moon and a few

Planets because my scope is a Dob? Power adapter and BNC from camera the monitor. Does anyone know if I need a lens or anything

else to more this work?

Thank you

Paul

If you were only going to do moon and planets then there are cheaper cameras - webcams - that can do the job at least as well, for a fraction of the price. The only reason to choose an SCB-2000/SCB-4000 over a (cheaper) webcam is to use the inbuilt image processing for better views of DSOs etc.

Whilst I'm sure you'd get reasonable results doing this, my (personal) view is that the performance of these cameras gets significantly better when on an equatorial tracking mount, so the image processing can integrate the frames properly.

rgds,

J.

I'd agree, the SCB-2000 really starts to work well for me when it is internally stacking 5 or 10 second exposures, and that's not possible with an untracking Dob.

I've not (yet) got particularly good results using it as a lunar or planetary camera, it works but not obviously better than an ordinary webcam.

I was told the Samsung SBC 2000 video camera is a good camera at a good price. I have a 9" video B&W monitor and a 12 and 16" meade lightbridge. I have a T-adapter, and I think it's called a C- ring adapter to connect camera to t- adapter. I guess the only video I can get would be the moon and a few Planets because my scope is a Dob?

One other point Paul: If by your original post you're saying that you're already aware that because it's a Dob the image integration for Deep Space Objects won't be successful, and that you're still interested in using such a camera in conjunction with your video monitor for moon and planets because there's enough brightness to begin with, then yes this is true, it will "work" from a technical standpoint.

BUT (and it's a great big "but") when people use video cameras for moon and planets it's usually with a view to capturing that video and processing it through the software mentioned above in order for that software to create some nice, worthwhile images. Unfortunately, in the absence of such processing, moon and planetary views seen "live" through the camera and monitor are going to be very poor compared to what you get when looking through the eyepiece.

Hope that helps some more - don't hesitate to ask further questions if you need any more info on this.

rgds, J.

Thank you all so much from your replies. You have saved me some money.

I would be very disappointed if this video was not at less as good as what I can see through the eyepiece. A telescope with a Equatorial tracking mount will be

in my future. We have a great hobby. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Thanks again

Paul

• 2 months later...

Archived