548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Apodizing Mask

erialc79

Good Evening,

I have recently been reading about Apodizing screens and have been looking at how to make one. Can anyone recommend a material to use? Most of what I have been reading makes reference to US Window Screens? What UK equivilant could I use?:D

• 1 month later...

Is replying to a 2and a half year old post a record? I've recently been reading Fred Price's planetary observing handbook and the venerable Mr Price says that he would never even think of planetary observing without an apodising screen/ mask. Anyone ever tried to make one? did it do any good?

ps whilst on the jupiter subject (and apologies for going off topic but I guess after 2 years + the op won't mind) - anyone use colour filters for jupiter?

Finally, what we call "barges", I think Mr Price calls "knots" - a sort of darkening and thickening of the NEB. Are they the same thing? I can see why they'd be called knots, but where does "barges" come from??

Good Evening,

I have recently been reading about Apodizing screens and have been looking at how to make one. Can anyone recommend a material to use? Most of what I have been reading makes reference to US Window Screens? What UK equivilant could I use?:)

Apodization is used in telescope optics in order to improve the dynamic range of the image. For example, stars with low intensity in the close vicinity of very bright stars can be made visible using this technique. Generally, apodization reduces the resolution of an optical image; however, because it reduces diffraction edge effects, it can actually enhance certain small details. There are filters available from Edmund Optics and others which accomplish this but they tend to be quite expensive.