Jupiter 15th Oct

Adrian

Finally got a good night with my new (to me) 10" SCT. Unfortunately the seeing didn't seem to be up to adding the barlow, so these are just the SPC880 straight in the back. For my first shots with this scope I'm fairly pleased:)

The scope dewed up after 40 minutes, even with a long shield. There is a dew heater tape fitted inside, but I don't have power or a controller for it yet..:D

Captured with SharpCap, processed in Registax 6. A couple were edited in VirtualDub to select frames (but I couldn't see the difference so stopped bothering ;))

Advice & criticism welcome.

post-21504-133877679036_thumb.jpg

post-21504-13387767904_thumb.jpg

post-21504-133877679043_thumb.jpg

post-21504-133877679047_thumb.jpg

Nice detail and I do like to see Jupiter and its moons.

For a 10" SCT I think a dew controller is probably a waste of money as you will always run it at 100%. I never use my dew controller with my C9.25 heater, I just plug it straight into a 12V supply.

Cheers,

Chris

Thank you for the kind comments.

For a 10" SCT I think a dew controller is probably a waste of money as you will always run it at 100%. I never use my dew controller with my C9.25 heater, I just plug it straight into a 12V supply.

I wasn't sure about this as the dew heater strip has been fitted inside the OTA just behind the corrector plate and I wasn't sure if I'd need/want full power there - could it cause problems running too hot? :D

£30 for a Hitec single channel, dual output doesn't seem too much outlay for control over the heat...

I wasn't sure about this as the dew heater strip has been fitted inside the OTA just behind the corrector plate and I wasn't sure if I'd need/want full power there - could it cause problems running too hot? :D

£30 for a Hitec single channel, dual output doesn't seem too much outlay for control over the heat...

That is exactly the kind of controller I have and they are great. At £30 the price is right, so maybe it is a no brainer even if you only ever use it on full power.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived