Narrowband

Jupiter oct 15th

neil phillips

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave hows everything ? cheers

Good to see you still active in astronomy. Its been a while now hasnt it, for both of us. Youve pretty much seen my whole journy, check out lunar section Soon Dave got a reasonable Janssen coming up under jittery seeing. But this camera with high frame rates can beat this seeing to a degree. Good to speak to you

Hi Dave hows everything ? cheers

Good to see you still active in astronomy. Its been a while now hasnt it, for both of us. Youve pretty much seen my whole journy, check out lunar section Soon Dave got a reasonable Janssen coming up under jittery seeing. But this camera with high frame rates can beat this seeing to a degree. Good to speak to you

Hi Neil, I have gone 100% deep sky now, on account of the garbage seeing up our way but I still think it would be nice to have a planetary scope when I see shots like yours.

Thanks stuart, ive asked the team to consider in a different manner. But appreciated. Just wrote a message about your tests. Trust you. A part of you wants the little spc to better. which for variouse reasons occassionaly it can, as youve shown, hey i couldnt tell, and thats the truth, i thought it was the bottom DFK but only a impression. Those with little dosh take heed from what youve shown, Though for those that want to extract every last ounce of performance i think my ( rather long explanation, but you love me really x ) Does apply I HOPE lol

Nay I'm not trying to prove to myself I've wasted 350 quid :) I've updated that thread with a better DFK image.....must admit I did break out in a cold sweat when that spc shot came out so good lol

Hi Darryl thanks for taking the time, i Know weather in Oz hasnt been good lately. And i know how frustrating that can be. Things could be on a up turn anytime. So Dont let it get to you. You know the ups and downs in this game. without downs, there wouldnt be ups Right ?

Hi Neil,

Any chance you'd be able to post a raw frame or two from your original capture sequence for these images? I'd love to see how the input from a DMK should look like with a well-collimated scope in a night of good seeing!

Many thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim Ok give me some time and ill look for a raw frame, but dont forget it will look quite awful. theres a lot of magic that goes on with the stack and post processing especially as im really pushing the equipment to its limits, might be worth me finding a lower focal length frame too as a more realistic idea, where the equipment isnt being pushed to its limits, As comparisons of raw frames go

Ok i found it quite quick, not sure i would, takes ages to open my compressed files

Here is a single frame of jupiter taken at 1/61 secs Exposure 60 fps. Notice how dim and noisy it is. The reason is 1, 11 meters focal length, 2 only 245 mm optics, 3 fairly high gain. One may wonder why do this, well now look at the accumilation of about 3000 of these grainy dim high shutter speed frames under neath. Its not the actual avi. but one i just found, taken just after i think. But the comparison is close enough to see whats happening here. the detail is infact hidden amongst all that noise, and no one frame has all the detail. But all 3000 of them do. i could likely find a better raw frame taken at 11 meters focal length. using perhaps 1/30secs exposure and 30 fps, and indeed it would mislead you because you would think, ahh that one has to better right ? because it looks so much nicer as a single raw Frame. Not always. Because theres half as many frames, and half as many moments to catch good seeing compared to 1/60 secs exposure. so trying to figure things from comparing raw frames is,and can be misleading. heres the proof. And the explanation. Hope this all makes sense.

6277588185_a02cb59be8_o.png

about 2500 3000 ish stack of such said noisy raw frame no sharpening just wavelet i think

6277588199_8f42f29232_o.png

Thanks a million Neil, this is really helpful. I can immediately see you're getting subtle details just creeping through in capture that I'm not....though it's pretty close...but then the end result of stacking 3000 slightly better capture frames gives a significantly better result in the end! Maybe it's time to take the plunge and try one of these laser collimator things; all I've ever seen when using a star looks like a doughnut made of unset jelly sitting on a food processor in a rowing boat in the middle of the Atlantic.

Anyway, perseverance is key, especially now that 50 degree Jupiter approaches at a more sociable time of day...

Cheers

Jim

Archived