SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first try with QHY8 last night, strange line in image

Last night was a battle with the moon and it was also the first time I tried using a QHY8 I picked up recently.

I choose IC1396 and using nebulosity2 took 53 x 300sec images at a gain of 1 and offset of 130.

When I stack the images in DSS and then process in Pixinsight, there is a vertical line on the right hand side, now that I have taken a closer look at most of the light frames I can see the line present in each of them.

Can you advise what it is and what I can do to fix it, I am starting to think it is from the camera, but not sure why?

regards

David

post-21390-133877678615_thumb.jpg

Not sure it is a streak, it is on all frames and appears to about a pixel wide. Looks worse in the stacked image because there are now three streaks where I adjusted the RGB channels. I have just set the camera up in the garage to run some test to see what happens.

I also spent some time cleaning the sensor, filters and scope before I used it. All cleaning was done using visible dust sensor cleaning fluids and swabs, same stuff I use on my dslrs.

Regards

David

David - Try a 300sec dark frame, if the line is still apparent then it is likely the sensor has either a hot pixel at the top of the column causing the pixels below to malfunction or the column is permanently lit.

Dark frame subtraction would remove the artifact.

Don't think it can be fixed without a new sensor.

Firstly make sure that the capture program is set to slow download speed as this could be an artifact due to being in fast preview mode.

If not then it looks like some sort of column defect in the sensor. I would send it back if it's new. If it is out of warranty calibration of the frame using darks and flats will alleviate it. The vertical de-banding tool in Noel Carboni's photoshop actions will also help.

Regards

Kevin

Thaks, I have just run some 300, 600 and 900 seconds in the garage and cannot locate the column problem. All frames from last night had it, and it is only the red channel, I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

The QHY8 is second hand, but other than this oddity appears to be perfect.

regards

David

Archived