SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Glooston Sat 15 Oct 2011

cyborg421

Again another good night at Glooston last night. This time with new member Phil.

The Moon was quite bright but it did not spoil our enjoyment of the evening. Phil had some issues with his scope because of the dew but managed to get some views of Jupiter.

I managed some old favourites since partially flocking my scope. The Ring Nebula was good at the start of the evening, as was the Andromeda galaxy, Double Cluster and Blue Snowball.

I managed some firsts this evening

The Cat's Eye Nebula - which Phil said he could see green tints in but I couldn't - must be my age.

The Sailboat Cluster -NGC225

The Rocking Horse Cluster - NGC6910

We finished off with Jupiter which started early evening with one spot and the seeing was poor, to having TWO spots and the seeing excellent and where we could see the lighter bands on the surface and detail in the darker bands. I was impressed with the Delos that we used. It also brought up detail on the Moon well.

I am sure Phil will remember stuff I've not mentioned.

We finished about 2 and I think we both enjoyed the evening.

I hope Phil can make it over again soon.

Simon :D

Saturday was an enjoyable session, it was great to be able to meet up and observe in a reasonably dark location (for the midlands); and share our enthusiasm knowledge and experience.

I had fun finding the site but this wasn't due to a lack of instructions, Simon kindly gave a comprehensive list of GPS and OS co-ordinates, nearest postcode, maps etc but My Sat nav didnt want to play ball, I use an app on my iPhone which had locked up, it turns out that its not yet compatible with the new IOS 5 - (lesson here not to rely upon Sat Nav's) thankfully I got there just before ten and Simon was patient enough to wait.

I am sure Phil will remember stuff I've not mentioned.

Other additions to Simons list that we also observed were the Owl Cluster (aka ET) NGC 457 Caldwell 13 in Cassiopeia, the Coat Hanger Cluster and NGC 6802 which is tucked to the right hand side of the hanger (when viewed hanger up) in Vulpecula - the Fox.

I was impressed with the Delos that we used. It also brought up detail on the Moon well.

The views with the Delos were fantastic particularly good on Jupiter with the good seeing and very impressive on the moon.

We tried out my brand new Celestron Ultima LX 13mm Eyepiece and compared it with Simons Hyperion and the Radion with very favourable results. The views were pinsharp across the field, contrast was very good and I dd not detect any chromatic abberation even when applied to a bright target like the moon. All the testing was with Simons Dob since the Eyepiece is too heavy for the Nexstar 5SE that I had brought along for the night. Overall my personal assesment of the eyepiece showed that results were better than the hyperian at most tasks and a serious competitor to the radion. Simon was impressed with it too and I think is considering a possible purchase.

A fantastic evening with better than expected seeing and great company - Simon even provided cups of steaming hot chocolate - thanks.

I hope Phil can make it over again soon.

Count me in again soon!

Looks like I haven't seen the GRS as I thought. If you see the comments here

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-planetary/159877-dark-spot-one-jupiters-bands.html

I have always seen spots (called barges apparently) in the lower band. The GRS is in the upper band. Still at least I know now.

From the comments in the link above it was a particularly good night to see Jupiter.

You're right Phil. I have bid on (and won) the Celestron Ultima LX 13mm.

Simon

Archived