Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

g0ibi

Red Spot

Saw the red spot clearly tonight, best views of Jupiter so far! Good seeing tonight until the Moon came into view!!

Nice sketch David! Interested in your 'slogan' as I am a Dental Technician?

Nice sketch! I finally got a decent view of the GRS last night. It looked almost exactly like your sketch with two dark blobs on the NEB. The 'red' spot is actually rather pale, like in your sketch. There was also a very dark spot trailing the GRS. As I watched it moved over the GRS. I did wonder if it was a moon because I could only see 3 obvious moons to the sides. Checked the sky and telescope javascript thing this morning and turns out it was Io! I'm kind of kicking myself for not staying out longer and watching it leave the disk. I've never watched a moon leave the disk or appear from behind the disk - aargh! Funny how every time I think I've seen everything I could possibly want to see another thing crops up that I want to take a look at.

Just been out looking at the GRS tonight. It is neither great nor red, but is exactly as shown in the drawing above, which is excellent. Mind you the seeing is only poor here tonight with features drifting in and out of focus. Watched Io disappear behind Jupiter and now wondering whether to wait another couple of hours and try to spot the moment it reappears at around 11:15

Nice sketch. I just missed the GRS tonight and the seeing here is poor too - the turbulence is as if I have a blow torch going just under the scope.

Dave

Seeing was shocking on Sunday night. A big change from the reasonable conditions on Saturday.