Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

nicnac

orionids

Orionid shower is said to peak on the 22nd, will we see it? Hmm.

Focal point said to be around the star betelguise (yep, most likely spelt wrong but hey ho)

thanks for the heads up, will be looking for them at PSP, fingers crossed for clear skies, its about time we got to see a display

Hmm, I saw a meteor last night, assumed it was a sporadic, but could it have been an early Orionid? I think it could have been going in the right direction.

The outlook for the Orionid meteor shower is pretty good with a ZHR of 25 per hour, under ideal conditions of course. The moon, which is Past last quarter, will rise early in the morning at around 2am on the 22nd so for most of the night at least, we should have good viewing. Here's hoping for the cloud gods to be kind to us.

As always the weather forecast is looking pretty poor for tonight and the weekend, I hope the weather changes between now and then so I can catch a glimpse of the shower.

Clouded out all day here and not likely to change.

I have Turn Left at Orion in one hand and The Cloudspotters Guide in the other. Guess which one is open!!

I have Turn Left at Orion in one hand and The Cloudspotters Guide in the other. Guess which one is open!!

I hate multiple choice questions,lol.

I hate multiple choice questions,lol.

Then I will give you a hint..... It hasn't got Orion in the title! lol

I no longer take any notice of the british weather forecast.

Last night was supposed to be clear as a bell, set up my gear, half hour later totally clouded out :)

Then I will give you a hint..... It hasn't got Orion in the title! lol

No more clues. I'll get the answer in a minute.

No more clues. I'll get the answer in a minute.

I have to admire your perserverance!! lol

I have to admire your perserverance!! lol

You just completely threw me. Now i have to start all over again.

You just completely threw me. Now i have to start all over again.

Damn, now I've gone and forgot what the question was!

Managed to catch one (I think) tuesday night, at least at appeared to be heading from a position near to orion, about midway between the belt and betelgeux and a little way toward gemini. The local senior countryside ranger has organised a meteorwatch event for tomorrrow night, a prime spot on a high hill. As is usual, looks like clouds are gonna spoil the show :) just hoping astropanel is wrong this time..

Ive never seen this shower. Hopefully some clear skies over the next couple of days. Would be nice to get an image of Orion with a meteor going through.

I spotted two this morning at 1am, not far from the belt so assuming it was Orionids.

Will be wrapped up warm tomz night on balcony with my magners, hoping to spot some more! lol :)

Yay! I have four days off!!

Weather guy says cloud BOOH!!! :)

It was supposed to be cloudy here tonight but is totally clear, I may have to have a look later.

Spent half an hour out before the clouds closed in. No meteors.

I have seen a couple but I haven't really been out for long, will go out again in a minute if I can find my remote shutter cable.

Its as cloudy as hell (I have it on good authoriry that Hell is indeed very cloudy) in London. Forecast says it should be clear in Herts at 4am. We'll see.......

Well I was planning to spend tonight and tomorrow night having a look at them, I always seem to miss them, and I'm guessing this time is no different as the cloud gods seem to think I have sinned and are punishing me in Manchester.