Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary ep question

Zaphod360

I had my first use of my 200p eq5 last night and it was breath taking, I'm very happy with my new toy.

In anticipation of using my scope for the first time I ordered a 4mm TS Planetary HR eyepiece and a moon filter.

First question:

What does the rotating ring on the TS ep do? I tried it in different positions and couldn't figure out what it does.

Second question:

When I used the 10mm ep that came with the scope along with the 2x Barlow the views were substantially better than I could get with the 4mm eyepiece. I was observing the moon and Jupiter and couldn't get a good view (always seemed just out of focus) with this new ep, am I doing something wrong? In contrast the 2 eps that came with scope were surprisingly good!

Overall an amazing evening, just a bit concerned that I might have spent some money unwisely?

I assume your scope is f5? That being the case the 4mm would give x250 which is borderline for the UK seeing conditions...a 7mm or so would give better views, more of the time...

I think the ring is to assist in positioning the eye to match the exit pupil/ eye relief...

When you can't get your eyepiece to focus, you could always try to pull it about a third of the way out of the focuser, then secure it by screwing it in at that position, and refocus until sharp. I doubt this will help, though, it's a trick that helps if the eyepiece is just too far "in" and misses the focal point by just a tad. This is way more likely to happen with a barlow, and I doubt it's what is your problem - but it doesn't cost anything to try. Just be careful so the thing doesn't end up on the floor. But you'll probably only be able to properly use a 4mm when the viewing conditions are exceptional. I personally prefer lower power if I get sharp, crisp and contrasty images.

Archived