Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jones 1 Planetary nebula

lukebl

Hi all. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew with this one, but I thought I'd post it anyway. It's a planetary nebula in Pegasus of which I've been capturing frames on and off over the past couple of weeks but it's taken up so much time, what with all the clouds, that could be spent imaging something a bit more rewarding that I think I'll stop now. I know, it's a rubbish, noisy and overprocessed image with bloaty stars, hence the small size, but I just wanted to see what I could actually capture and I'm fascinated by the planetaries. It's very strong in O-III, but hardly any HA, hence the strong blue colour. I should probably have binned the imaging to get stronger signal, but it's an interesting object anyway and I've seen images of this object taken with 24 hours-worth of 30-minute subs and they don't show that much more detail.

c 4.5 hours of 5 & 10 minutes in O-III and 2.5 hours of 10 minutes in HA unbinned, SXVF-H9 + 250mm f/4.7 Newt.

jones%201%20planetary_2011_10_14a.jpg

I'll try something a bit easier tonight, I think, to get my confidence back!

Crikey Luke... a new one for me this.. Dont knock yourself, at least you have introduced another target for us to consider, I wiki'd the nebula and you have the shape there so its a start, not sure if my short 110 Megrez and 8300 would ever get anything like near what you have .. :D

Stop beating yourself up! The image is a treat. It's a fascinating planetary and well captured and processed. Taking on a difficult object is a worthy thing to do and you have produced somethnig that I bet few of us have ever seen before and made a great job of it. It's a beautiful planetary, that's for sure.

Olly

Thanks for the comments, gents.

One thing I noticed when doing an internet search for Jones 1 is that you will often get sent to Jones-Emberson 1. This is a completely different planetary nebula, but superficially similar and one with a lot more in the HA band (and, I believe, johnh's avatar!). Another one on my hit-list.

Nicely done Luke, it's not an easy target, but thats a great result.

Does anything show up in ha at all? I have a sort of personal OCD thing about imaging extremely faint ha emissions and if there is something there I fancy having a pop?

Cheers

Tim

.....Does anything show up in ha at all? I have a sort of personal OCD thing about imaging extremely faint ha emissions ....

Thanks Tim. Yes, there's definitely some H-A in there. I just haven't put in the time to do it justice. Here's a comparison of single 10-minute frames in HA and O-III. It would be nice to see an image of this object with a lot more exposure time, as I think there's a lot more in there. There is a whispy bit of nebulosity which seems to have more HA just above and outside the main part of the nebula, which you can see if you really stretch the image. These were taken with the full moon nearby, and I think have been affected by it, despite using narrowband.

jones1_compared.jpg

Now that is very interesting. Most planetaries have distinctly separate Oiii and Ha regions but these have a real overlap.

I wonder if there is an even fainter outer shell as with some others?

Archived