SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First crack at jupiter

Carl M

Hello guys,

Here are my first attempts at Jupiter with and without a 2x barlow, taken through 200P on CG5 with SPC900

jupitero.png

and with a 2x barlow

jupiter2xbarlow.png

Don't think the focus is right with the 2x barlow picture seems a little blurry to me.

Thanks for looking,

Carl

Hi Carl,

Firstly I hope you don't mind me playing with your image ;)

Secondly if you can post a bit of detail re. capture settings, No. stacked frames out of the total etc. it helps when trying to advise :D

As a first, or even early attempt this is pretty good:icon_salut:

I'm not sure which brand of Barlow you were using but the general consensus seems to be that the Sky-Watcher Barlow is less than best, but sometimes you even get a dud in better brands. Also I'm not sure what time the shot was captured, or more to the point, how high in the sky it was at the time (higher is better). There seems to be an excessive Blue fringe in the Barlowed image that is not present in the Unbarlowed image which seems to suggest poor optics in the Barlow :D

The other thing is colour which the first image seems almost devoid of and the second has a bit more. If you let us know the camera settings then someone should be able to advise you about this aspect.

The images below are in the same order as your post, and clearly show the colour fringe in the Barlowed shot.

As I said earlier You have made a great start. and I hope you take my criticism as constructive :D

post-16237-133877677915_thumb.jpg

post-16237-133877677917_thumb.jpg

I think the first one is 500 frames and I'm not too sure about the second one. If I remember correctly gain was at about 1/4 of the bar, the saturation, gamma etc was left alone. Both were taken at about 22:00 and above the house much to my dismay. The fps may be the problem because I told it to do 10fps and when I opened the settings again it had changed back to 30, tonight I think I will use a different capture program and see if anything changes. Cheers for the criticism though and I'm more than welcome for you to have a play with images.

I did a re-process of the 2x barlow which has made it a little better but maybe pushed to far in wavelets.

jupiter2x.jpg

Carl

Archived