Narrowband

Meeting at Sawley tonight.

BAZ Senior

I'd love to but I'm a bit knackered after the drive home from work (took an hour and a half tonight in slow traffic) and I'm starving hungry. So I'm gonna stay home and eat and relax cos I've a busy day tomorrow. Have fun everyone :D

Just got back from a rather cosy evening, just the 3 of us there :D Thanks guys for collimating my scope, much appreciated. Saw a few things tonight I hadn't seen before so i'm happy. I really need to get a new mount.....this one just isn't good enough, specially not for imaging.

I wish I could have come along for the first time. Unfortunately I turn 30 tomorrow and have to celebrate it! :D

Maybe next time. ;)

I did however spend an hour in the garden with Stellarium, figuring out where constellations are. :D

Just got back, only two others turned up but it was a great night.

Goto and polar alignment performed really well tonight, after I done a two star alignment and went to M31 it was bang on centre, very impressive for me.

Saw loads of stuff tonight but highlight was splitting the double double so wide you could drive a bus through it. The background was really black and the view awesome. I used my GT81 with a 4mm Uwan barlowed with a x2 to give about x250.

Hopefully more people will turn up next time.

Tonight was the first run out for my 5" Meade refractor, and although I have messed about in the garden, the LP has ruined it.

Jupiter was good, the belts clearly visible and one of the dark bars on the Northern belt visible. It split the double double (Epsilon Lyra) nicely with a 6mm eyepiece, and good clear sky in between.

Finished off with a tour round the Moon, even with a 9D filter on it still melted my retina. There was some yellow fringing apparent around the moon, but not Jupiter, so all in all Iam pleased with it's performance. I think I will spend a bit more time on the Moon now, but will find some way of stopping down the aperture.

Had a look through Doc's GT81, which is an awesome performer.

A pint of Harvest Pale is waiting to be sacrificed to the Moon God now!

Your Meade Martyn really impressed me, it had lovely tones of colour on the moon and the fringing was not bad at all, it split the double double with a lovely dark seperation, all in all a good scope.

Sounds like a smashing little session - would've liked to see Meade and the GT81 neither of which I've looked through yet. I only just managed to split the double double at the CC with a 5mm, so that would've been interesting to see in your two scopes.

I'll keep an eye out for a tripod off a CG5/EQ5 for you Nicky - just missed two in the last 10 days both as good as free. Try astro buy/sell website they come up there quite frequently.

The one time I could've gone to 250x and I end up with an indian meal delivery and asleep by 11:30 - typical lol :D

Kim, I got my eye on the new Meade LX800.....if only I had 6k lol :D. I'd like a much better mount, one that I could change to a better scope with later. The tripod on mine is pretty good, it's the head that's not the best. I think one of the motors is on it's way out, it makes a loud clicking noise and when viewing in the eyepiece, the object will slowly drop then 'snap' back into place. It's not smooth like it used to be, it still keeps track though. I tried imaging Jupiter with the webcam when we had the good weather the other week, I couldn't get a decent image because of the 'drop and snap' whereas before it used to just wobble very slightly.

Ahhh I see - ok it might be just a motor change and a mount strip down required - but maybe a motorised EQ5/CG5 would be a better bet alltogether.

A s/h CG5GT Goto would be around £300-£350 in excellent working order, depending on age and add on's like polar scope etc, a spot less for the EQ5 Goto. Shame I sold mine over the summer. Give Steve992 a pm - he's got a mount/tripod he's looking to shift :D

Hi Mick, I take it the watec stayed at home?

It did indeed.

I like things simple, I find it makes for a much more enjoyable night. And last night everything worked fine, and I had no wires to trip over.

Thinking of selling the watec and Uwans and getting three nice ethos's :D

Archived