Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Adz

Lunt zoom eyepiece?

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about the Lunt zoom eyepiece? Presumably designed for solar view mostly. I wondered if it would be a good investment as I have a PST incoming :D

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Thanks,

personally I have the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm for my PST. With a cheap adaptor ring and T-adaptor you can couple DSLR cameras to it, which is why I chose it originally.

I know I don't have it yet, but is attaching the eyepiece and a relatively heavy DSLR too much for the PST?

Also I thought webcam imaging was preferable?

Thanks,

Not withstanding the DSLR options ( I'd still go with the DMK!) I had the chance to use the Hyperion Zoom on a Lunt 60 and was impressed....it was a good eyepiece...well worth considering.

I don't know anyone who uses the Lunt, so can't comment.

I've been using the Telescope Service version of this zoom and found it's just as good as the Baader for either white light or Ha solar observing. For regular night time observing the Baader's slightly better.

The Lunt/TS/SkyWatcher zoom is only about half the size and weight of the Baader though, which is an advantage on a small scope.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4651_HR-Planetary-Zoom-Okular-7-2---21-5mm---1-25----7-Elemente.html

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_HyperFlex_7E_7.2_-_21.5mm_Zoom_Eyepiece_1.25_.html

John

post-14522-133877677606_thumb.jpg

I know I don't have it yet, but is attaching the eyepiece and a relatively heavy DSLR too much for the PST?

Also I thought webcam imaging was preferable?

Thanks,

I started with a Canon 7D DSLR on the back of the Baader Hyperion EP and achieved some good results but I've now moved on and use a DMK41 and Powermate which is giving me more resolution.

If you go down the CCD route make sure you buy a short c-mount nose piece that allows the front of the camera casing to touch the top of the PST EP tube, if it doesn't you may struggle to get focus

Edited by Photosbykev

Thanks for all your knowledge guys. I cannot wait for my birthday and some clear patches to try it out :D

Hi, i have a PST . And have three eyepiece/zoom on my mind: the lunt clone zoom planetery (€138) - televue 11 & 15 mm plossl eyepiece (€190)  or the pentax XF 19.5-6.5 zoom (€319 - WEX dond ship to holland)  ( i think (?) that you Will loss a lot sharpness  if you zoom all the way in -the pst has only 40 mm apenture - and i have heard that the lunt zoom/ clone are not so good in the low power range....? ..) witch one of these 3 you prefer for the PST? Thanks !!        

Edited by andre2

16 minutes ago, andre2 said:

Hi, i have a PST . And have three eyepiece/zoom on my mind: the lunt clone zoom planetery (€138) - televue 11 & 15 mm plossl eyepiece (€190)  or the pentax XF 19.5-6.5 zoom (€319 - WEX dond ship to holland)  ( i think (?) that you Will loss a lot sharpness  if you zoom all the way in -the pst has only 40 mm apenture - and i have heard that the lunt zoom/ clone are not so good in the low power range....? ..) witch one of these 3 you prefer for the PST? Thanks !!        

Hi

I have a like new Pentax XF zoom on astrobuysell for £149.00 at the moment if it’s of any interest to you. Shipping to Holland no problem.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=130891

John

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Hi

I have a like new Pentax XF zoom on astrobuysell for £149.00 at the moment if it’s of any interest to you. Shipping to Holland no problem.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=130891

John

I'd snap this up if I were looking for a solar zoom. Beats all the zooms mentioned in this thread