Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

I am interested in trying astro photography with a Web-Cam. I understand this is posible with a non powered scope by taking several short bursts.

The problem is everyone recommends the Philips ToUcan which, it seems, is not generally available.

Has anyone any experience of another suitable Web-Cam which is currently on sale and if so are adaptors etc. available?

Any other advice on this subject would also be welcome.

Mike

The SPC900 as mentioned above is the one to go for as well as "Sharpcap" freeware to control it. Then Registax5 (Not registax6 as its a bit buggy for beginners) to stack your images (again free) and maybe GIMP (free) for final "tweaking" of the images. This will allow you to get pictures of the Moon and Planets - Jupiter at the moment - and maybe the Sun (BUT ONLY WITH THE CORRECT FILTERS!!!).

i hvae both the toucam,and the flashed 900 they both about the same i use the 900 one the most

Deep Sky Stacker will not stack "movies" (usually in the form of .avi's). So Registax (or Avistack) are the ones to use.

Great question, I had looked for the SPC900 and failed and therefore have the same dilemma.

Good tips for a cheap way into astrophotography. Thanks!

Thanks JCJC,

I've just used that discount as my excuse to finally jump on the webcam bandwagon. That and the talk on astro-photography I attended earlier in the week. Hopefully it will arrive next week!

dag123

Many thanks everyone. At least I now know where to start.

I have to say that since taking up astronomy in a serious way just two years ago I have been amazed at how generous SGL members, individuals and organisations (like NASA) have been in providing help and advice.

It is greatly appreciated.

Mike

I understand this is posible with a non powered scope by taking several short bursts.

I've been using a non powered mount for webcam shots for a while. Just got my first powered one a few days ago.

I've found that while Registax manages with sequences where the subject drifts across the field of view, it often doesn't work when you combine several runs which cause larger jumps in the position of the subject. You can get around that by centering the subject before you use Registax. There are a few programs that will do that for planets. I've had good results using ninox.

For the moon I've not had any decent results using Registax 6 (may well be my fault rather than the program), but Registax 4 has worked for me as long as I stick to a single alignment point. I haven't tried version 5, so you may be better off with that rather than 4. I haven't combined separate runs for the moon. I guess it's possible but I couldn't automate it so I didn't think it was worth the effort.

another good bit a software is castrator i normaly do a jupiter drift lasts about 10/15 secs with the said webcam,i do this about 5 times more if i have the time,run each video through castrator and then join the vids together works well give it a look up on the net